Data Engineering Manager at Vivid Seats
As our Manager of Data Engineering, you'll grow and develop data systems and engineers at a thriving e-commerce company. You'll influence the transactional systems, analytics platform, and data integration, which include messaging and batch processing.
Leading a team at Vivid Seats, you'll stay up to date on new and emerging technologies, plan accordingly to incorporate valuable concepts to enhance our applications, and continually improve the development environment.
For an e-commerce company, it all starts at the transactional systems and thinking through the scalability and 24x7 availability. This includes collaborating with the engineering team on the operational data model, proposing the proper tools for the deployment, and getting consensus to make decisions.
The responsibility then focuses on integration services to the warehouse. You'll propose and advocate for standardized methods to integrate messaging & batch streams of data. You'll work with the data team to create guidelines for which approach to follow and ensure data pipelines are built in a robust way. We must ensure the team is alerted to an issue and can address it before any stakeholders are negatively impacted. Building out standardized alerting and monitoring is a key element of the data practice.
You'll also partner with the security group to ensure data is secure, and the team has created and allocated the proper roles. You'll work with internal stakeholders to understand their needs and timelines, discuss the options which are available, and collaborate as to the best approach balancing bringing out business value with creating elegant solutions.
Most importantly you'll develop, coach and retain engineers in a high-performance team while participating in hiring initiatives to attract, screen and hire new engineering talent. You'll carry out performance management, coach, and deliver feedback on a regular basis so the team is appropriately staffed, challenged, and impactful.
To be successful, you'll need:
- A proven career in leading high-performing engineering teams, preferably in the ecommerce industry
- Transactional database experience with platforms like MySQL, Postgres, SQL Server or Oracle.
- Messaging or streaming platform experience using platforms such as Kinesis, Kafka, RabbitMQ, etc.
- Modern data warehouse technologies knowledge such as AWS Redshift, Snowflake, Big Query, etc.
- Experience crafting RESTful services or calling RESTful services to get information in either Java or Python
- ETL Pipeline and tooling experience
- Cloud experience in AWS, GCP or Azure
- Planning experience of making a roadmap with the team and presenting it to other teams to communicate deliverables
Additional Experience of Interest:
- Platform experience using Unix and AWS (RDS, ECS, EMR, S3, Route53, etc)
- Data Modeling for transactional systems using 3rd normal form, and modeling for Analytics platforms using a star-schema methodology.
- Containerization: Docker, Kubernetes
- CI/CD: Jenkins, CircleCI, Travis
- Data serialization such as JSON, Avro, parquet
- Predictive Analytics: Machine Learning, Modeling, or Data Mining
What We Offer:
Vivid Seats is the largest independent online ticket marketplace, sending tens of millions of fans to live events. Experiences Matter- which is why we continue to grow year over year. Working at Vivid Seats puts you front and center at the opportunity to scale our best in class platform that allow our fans to sit closer and experience more.
At Vivid Seats, you will have the opportunity to work with the flexibility and speed of a startup; while operating at massive, profitable scale. We keep our teams lean, allowing each and every employee direct accountability to creating a positive ticket buying experience. We are relentless and move quickly to release new features and content to our applications daily. Good ideas are heard and implemented, and hard work rewarded. Being a part of our team means having the ability to drive impact and own the innovation that connects our tens of millions of unique monthly users to the memorable experiences that only live events create.
We are passionate about creating memorable experiences for our fans… and the best in class experience for our employees. Vivid Seats offers competitive compensation levels, individual and team-based bonus opportunities, generous benefits package and Flex PTO policy plus a variety of workplace perks. The most exciting one: We offer our employees $100 worth of credits each month to spend on Vivid Seats tickets along with promotional discounts. At the heart of it, we are all fans of great live events. We want to help you get there more often.
111 N Canal Suite #800
Chicago, IL 60606