Director of Data Analytics at Morningstar
About the Role
This role spearheads exciting new developments exposing the power of analytics and modelling to our blue-chip customer base in commodity and financial trading.
The successful candidate will lead C&E Group’s data analytics initiative with the following goals:
• Work closely with clients and internal stakeholders to design products and API’s.
• Oversee development of tools to extract large volumes of raw data (Big Data) from Morningstar’s existing cloud data platform as well as customers’ own internal environments.
• Once data is extracted into environments such as Amazon’s Data Lake, develop tools to manipulate and model the data then store results back to the data platform.
Develop plug and play models and or components that harness statistical analysis packages such as python or MATLAB to build custom analytics for use in forecasting, risk analysis, trading strategies and back testing.
• Develop proprietary models serving common needs of multiple clients.
• Champion analytic tools and proprietary models with existing and prospective customers.
Candidates should be educated to a postgrad level, ideally with an MBA, have a passion for data analytics and be able to demonstrate the following:
• At least 5-years’ experience in a business analyst role, preferably in a commodity trading company
• Subject matter expertise in commodity and energy trading including an understanding of spot and forward data structures and analysis needs of trading operations
• Successful development of (e.g.) models, forecasts and algorithms to identify actionable trading strategies
• Understanding of cloud architecture, ideally an AWS environment
• Ability to interrogate customers for requirements and translate them into working solutions
• Strong communication and presentation skills