Director, Data Scientist at project44
Our mission is to usher in a new era of trust and predictability to transportation and logistics, but there’s still a lot of work to be done. The industry is massive, as is the opportunity. We’re looking for bright, ambitious individuals to join our growing global team and help us enable a more productive and successful world. We’re changing the way the world ships, and we’re looking for you to help us get there!
- Take an inside look into our culture!
- Ranked 2nd most innovative company by FreightWaves three years in a row 2021, 2020, 2019 (right after Amazon who is our customer)
- “Best Places To Work” by Built In Chicago
- Our culture is more than a ping pong table, but we do host quarterly ping pong tournaments!
As an ideal candidate —you are obsessed with data. You analyze large amounts of raw information to find patterns that will help improve our customers. We will rely on you to build data products to extract valuable business insights. In this role, you should be highly analytical with a knack for analysis, math and statistics. Critical thinking and problem-solving skills are essential for interpreting data. You have a passion for machine-learning and research. You are an excellent communicator and collaborator and can work with a diverse group, to get consensus. You have an entrepreneurial mind and thrive in an agile environment.Responsibilities: What you’ll do
- You will lead a small team of Data Scientists to identify valuable data sources and automate collection processes
- You will need to motivate your team and produce results
- Leverage large sets of structured and unstructured data to develop tactical and strategic insights
- Analyze large amounts of information to discover trends and patterns
- Develop and validate statistical forecasting models (predictive & prescriptive) and machine-learning algorithms, and combine models through ensemble modeling
- Research and evaluate new analytical methodologies, approaches, and solutions
- Propose solutions and strategies to business challenges
- Present information using data visualization techniques
- Interpret and communicate analytic results to analytical and non-analytical business partners and executive decision makers.
- Collaborate with analytic and data teams to set objectives, approaches, and work plans
Requirements: The experience you should have
- Advanced degree (Masters at a minimum) in a quantitative field in one or more of the following: Computer Science, Computational Social Science, Data Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, or another quantitative field.
- Experience with the transportation and/or freight logistics industry a plus
- 5+ years of experience in advanced analytics, data mining, and machine learning model development and validation
- 5+ years of experience working on analytic-based projects and delivering results within scope, funding, and duration
- Experience with a statistical package and various programming languages such as R, SQL, Scala, Python, Java, C++, SAS, MatLab, etc.
- Experience using business intelligence tools (e.g. Tableau) and data frameworks (e.g. Hadoop)
- Experience with standard classification and regression techniques, including dimension reduction, feature selection and hypothesis testing
- Strong communication skills with ability to explain modeling results to non-technical users
- Capacity for a high degree of autonomy and out-of-the-box thinking
Since 2014, project44 has been transforming the way one of the largest, most important global industries does business. As transportation and logistics continues to evolve and customer expectations around delivery become more demanding, industry technology must rise to the occasion. In just a few short years, we’ve created a digital infrastructure that eliminates the inefficiencies caused by dated technology and manual processes. Our Advanced Visibility Platform is used by the world’s leading brands to track shipments, collaborate with supply chain partners, drive operational efficiencies, and create outstanding customer experiences.