Engineering Manager - Data Ops
ActiveCampaign is the marketing automation leader for small and mid sized businesses (SMB's) around the globe. Through a sophisticated yet easy-to-use platform and tools, we allow our customers to make meaningful connections to their customers. Often, we are the center of our customer's marketing strategies and critical to their success and future.
As the fastest-growing SaaS company in Chicago, we are scaling rapidly to keep up with market demand. We are growing all of our teams and looking for people who share our values, deliver innovation frequently and join us in our mission to grow our customer base from 80,000 today to millions.
We are seeking an exceptional Engineering Manager to lead our Data Ops team. This team is passionate about Automation, Scale, Quality, Efficiency and we’re looking for someone with a similar mindset to join and lead these efforts.
If you have a passion and track record for solving problems; moreover, have strong leadership skills and a strong Data Operations and automation background, this is a great fit for you.
What your day could consist of:
- Lead a team of talented engineers who oversee the overall health, reliability and scale of all Databases
- Build a team roadmap to: ensure proactive monitoring on all DB clusters, automate manual processes and tasks, proper implementation of standards and best practice, and ensure optimal database performance including configuration, database tuning, data model, optimizing business logic and queries
- Identify and define database process improvement opportunities
- Research and advise on database technologies / solutions in support of both near and long-term roadmap
- Exercise critical thinking and creativity to improve database stability, reliability, availability, and to reduce manual database maintenance
- Create a collaborative work environment that fosters autonomy, inclusivity, innovation, learning, respect and transparency while holding a high bar for craftsmanship
- Collaborate with Engineering Managers and Directors across the organization to ensure we're building a robust platform that scales
- Demonstrate problem solving and technical innovation by "rolling-up your sleeves" and "getting your hands dirty"
- Share knowledge with team members via a formal mentoring relationship, reviewing code, reviewing design docs, giving technical talks and JIT feedback
- Work closely with the ActiveCampaign People Team to hire talent from diverse backgrounds
What is needed:
- Solid SQL database experience overseeing TB/PB sized databases
- AWS RDS/Aurora experience is a plus
- 3+ years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience
- Automation mindset and experience automating critical processes and operations
- Experience solving challenging technical problems with a focus on scale
- Strong communication skills and customer focus
- Extensive experience with data / object modelling, data normalization, and data analysis
- Ability to work independently, using good judgment and initiative
- Team player committed to the success of the organization with proven track record of working effectively with cross functional teams
ActiveCampaign is an employee-first culture. We take care of our employees at work and outside of work. We'll share all the details later on but in summary: comprehensive health and wellness benefits including no premiums for employees on our HSA plan, open time off plan, generous 401(k) matching with no vesting, lunch and endless snacks/ beverages, reimbursed commuting, education budgets, ongoing learning and development, a proactive approach to diversity and inclusion, career pathing and lots of swag.
Read Full Job Description