Lead Data Engineer at Beyond Finance
About Beyond Finance
Beyond Finance is an exciting next generation FinTech company headquartered in Houston with additional offices in San Diego and Chicago. We provide financial products that are easy to use and accessible that aim to improve people’s lives. As the consumer debt market continues to grow in the United States, we have made it our objective to create a transparent and fair debt management service that is customized to the consumer’s individual situation.
Our leadership team has extensive experience and expertise in the financial services and debt management marketplace. We are reinventing the market by investing in innovative technologies to best serve our customers. Our workforce is a community made up of celebrated, diverse backgrounds working towards the common objective of developing something transformational for the debt settlement industry.
About The Role
As a Lead Data Engineer you will work on leading the development of a modern data pipeline integrating data from a variety of data sources in order to bring the data into the analytics platform using highly scalable and extensible pipeline technologies. You’ll be owning medium to large sized projects which ultimately will help the business grow and make more informed decisions. You’ll also be working with other members of the engineering team to influence decisions which are made.
What You'll Do
- Come up with plans on how data pipelines can be developed without performing custom development for each one, proposing tool, process and culture changes to support this. Come up with standards to enable this, get a tool working for this and teach others how to use the new methodology.
- Propose using a short list of data tools and provide guidance as to what tool should be used for particular use cases to dramatically reduce time researching the correct tool.
- Come up with a testing framework to automate test cases to validate data integrity and consistency, build up the framework and teach others how to use it.
- Willingness to be on-call and troubleshoot issues to understand the root cause.
- Come up with strategies to protect sensitive information with regards to PII and business-sensitive data.
- Design for scalability and robustness of availability and ensure thorough testing is performed to ensure the implementation meets the needs of the design.
- Lead the discussion of tools and techniques ensuring the proper criteria are being evaulated to bring the business value needed.
What We Look For
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or other technical field or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years of developing in the Cloud and at least 8 years of experience building services, data pipelines, and robust systems
- Exerience in selecting the right data tools which might include Airflow, Lambdas, Kafka, Spark, Presto, MapReduce, AWS Glue, for optimal development and business results with the most efficiency.
- Experience using cloud analytics platforms which could include Google Big Query, AWS Redshift or Snowflake and standard relational databases such as Postgres, MySQL or other transactional databases
- Expertise in working on batch systems and real time streaming platforms.
- Excellent SQL experience with working through complex queries.
- Excellent Python or Java skills; with UNIX shell scripting being helpful
- Being able to provide guidance to the setup and practice of developing configuration-as-code tools such as Ansible, Terraform, or Chef.
- Being able to lead the CI/CD pipeline development of continuous integration, testing, and deployment using tools such as Git and Jenkins; nice to have some Docker experience as well.
- Proven experience in the ability to coach / mentor other team members as appropriate
- Expertise in the design, creation, management, and business use of large datasets.
- A willingness to being in an on-call rotation
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Strong multitasking skills with the ability to balance competing priorities
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment where continuous innovation is desired, and ambiguity is the norm
- Experience with agile or other rapid application development methods
Why join us?
We are looking for great people to join a fast-paced, growing, and innovative business. We offer:
- Considerable employer contributions for health, dental and vision programs
- Personal time-off
- 401(K) match
- Merit advancement opportunities
- Career development & training
- 4 weeks PTO
- 401k with company match
- Health, dental, vision, and commuter benefits
- More importantly, our team spirit and culture are what really sets us apart as a company. We’re a world-class Financial Technology company that loves what we do…and we have fun doing it!
More importantly, our team spirit and culture are what really sets us apart as a company. We’re a world class Financial Technology company that loves what we do…and we have fun doing it!
*Beyond Finance is an equal opportunity Employer*