About the Role
The Lead Database Engineer will lead the re-design and migration of our databases to AWS Aurora PostgreSQL and maintain existing SQL Server databases powering critical applications in Morningstar software department.
- Lead our database upgrades and migrations from SQL Server to PostgreSQL on AWS Cloud
- Define best practices in database administration and introduce innovation with automation.
- Assist in implementing long-term strategic goals for database development in conjunction with end users, managers, clients, and other stakeholders.
- Identify inefficiencies in current databases and implement improved solutions.
- Responsible for providing day-to-day administration support and maintenance for existing and new databases on prem and on AWS Cloud.
- Perform production level support and be part of the on-call rotation when required.
- Database design and review based on project requirements and support applications implementation projects from initiation to completion.
- Implement and maintain database code in the form of stored procedures, scripts, queries, views, triggers, etc. based on project requirements on Amazon Aurora PostgreSQL and SQL Server.
- Ensure all proposed changes to the live application or infrastructure environments are suitably tested with roll-back capability and change controls exercised accordingly.
- Support clients' and business teams’ database inquires and provide timely solutions.
- Participate as a member in Agile teams, and work with other team members to review user stories, estimate effort to build new functionality and participate in sprint reviews.
- 7+ years of experience on database development and administration
- 4+ years working with large and complex databases on PostgreSQL and strong understanding of cloud technologies
- Advanced knowledge of query optimization, index management, statistics, and partitioning.
- Experienced in building complex scripts, queries, and stored procedures without compromising data quality, privacy or security.
- Understands the need for documentation and well-defined procedures.
- Forward thinking infrastructure automation and scripting skills.
- Excellent verbal, written, and collaborative skills to facilitate cross-functional teams.
- Ability to work with team members located in multiple geographies and time zones.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision seeking direction as required.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills and ability to clearly explain and present problems and issues to others and contribute to their resolution.
- Ability to make decisions and remain calm while under pressure – particularly when dealing with difficult situations.
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science or relevant field with equivalent experience.
Would be a plus
- Financial industry work experience is a plus
- Strong financial data knowledge is a plus
001_MstarInc Morningstar Inc. Legal Entity