Macro Commodities Analyst (Chicago, IL)
WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
IMC is a leading global market maker, using algorithmic trading and advanced technology to buy and sell securities on multiple trading venues worldwide. We provide liquidity to the financial markets, driving efficiencies for buyers and sellers.
Founded in 1989, we are an ambitious, innovative company and identified early on the importance technology would play in the fast-paced evolution of trading. This entrepreneurial spirit still drives us today and can be found in all of our offices around the world.
We now operate globally from offices in Europe, the US and Asia Pacific. Our employees work closely together in multidisciplinary teams, making our success possible.
Technology - At IMC, technology is not a department, it is at the heart of everything we do. Our technologists push the limits of possibility, and then look beyond. In our fast-paced environment, short feedback loops mean projects worked on in the morning can enter production the next day.
Trading – Although our traders come from many backgrounds they all have one thing in common: they are at their best solving complex problems. Their insight into global events, market shifts and pricing ensure we are trading in the right place, at the right time.
Business Support - Around the world, IMC’s business support teams are essential for sustaining our success. In our dynamic environment, we have many exciting challenges and multidisciplinary opportunities to shape our operations and make a real impact.
Our employees are our greatest asset so we give them lots of responsibility and the support they need to make a difference. Our flat structure fosters a culture of openness and collaboration, encouraging the sharing of ideas and knowledge. It makes no difference if you have been with us for three days or three years, the best idea wins.
While we work hard, we also have a lot of fun; whether solving complex challenges or in team building, leisure and sporting activities. IMC also enables its employees to contribute towards a better society through our foundation.
IMC Trading is looking for a Commodity Analyst to join its trading team. In this role, you will monitor macro and micro trends in commodity products, evaluate event risk, and will generate trading strategies around price or volatility of a commodity based on fundamental or data driven analysis of market opportunities. You will work closely with other analysts and the trading team with the goal of expanding our trading opportunities. You will also build out and set the direction of fundamental analysis on the commodities trading team.
- Perform daily analysis of the fundamentals in the Commodities market, with complete understanding of the market structure along with daily and emerging risks.
- Develop, enhance, and execute complex tools, models, and processes to forecast and describe price, supply and demand, relative value and global trends across multiple commodities. Develop models around macro events like the Russian invasion of Ukraine or OPEC meetings and impact on commodity prices as well as implied/realized volatility.
- Provide timely, accurate, and actionable insights, including understanding of intraday moves in commodity markets to the trading team.
- Broad understanding of macro-economic fundamentals.
- Produce analyses on market moving events, investment themes, trade ideas and markets trends, with a focus on the options market
- Analyze and understand systematic or structural flow in commodities options markets including options usage by producers, refiners and consumers.
- Interacting with sell-side sales and research contacts globally
- Evaluate and improve data quality
Skills & Experience
- Familiarity with options modeling and pricing, and/or experience working with options traders.
- Proven expertise at macro investing; specifically converting macro ideas into portfolio investments. Developing and evaluating trade ideas that involve fundamental catalysts or valuation insights
- Connections at large Prime Brokerages/hedge fund sales teams
- Prior Commodity Analyst experience including familiarity with various research platforms
- Education: Preferred degree in economics, finance, business or a related engineering degree
- Programing knowledge to manipulate data in Python, R etc. is strongly desired but not essential
- Cross-asset knowledge (fixed income, commodities, FX, equities)
- Drive to improve and perfect the team’s market coverage
- Team player that can collaborate intensively on a daily basis
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and thrive in a fast-paced team environment
OUR HIRING PROCESS
To set you up for success, you can find our hiring process including tips on applying and interviewing with us on our website. Now it’s up to you! Apply today to start an amazing journey with IMC.