Manager - Analytics
At Sprout Social, we build software used by 20,000 companies to create stronger relationships with their customers and create the world’s most beloved brands. As a SaaS product used 24/7/365 by organizations of all sizes, sectors, and geographies, we consume and generate vast amounts of data which hold great potential to improve our business and products. We’re looking for someone to lead and advance our data analytics practice, ensuring business stakeholders get the insights they need to propel the business forward.
Relying on your experience of managing teams who turn data into actionable insights, you will influence and help lead the next phase of growth and results for analytics and business intelligence at Sprout. Your role on the team will be that of 'player-coach,' working alongside your direct reports while also carving out time to help direct and support their professional development. Through your creativity and leadership, you will catalyze accelerated business growth. Together with your team, you will leverage data to improve our products, retain customers, increase revenue, and to continue driving compounded results with each incremental customer.
We’re looking for a collaborative, hands-on, highly motivating leader to help our data analytics team succeed. If you can confidently lead and teach a team of analysts to create actionable insights and reporting, to ask the right questions, and push them to learn from and teach each other, we'd love to talk with you!
- 2+ years leading teams of data analysts, and 3+ years performing analytics or business intelligence functions.
- Expertise in the industry methods of data analytics including descriptive and inferential statistics, programming, and experimentation, as well as some exposure to machine learning.
- Expertise with SQL, and experience with programmatic analysis using Python or R.
- Expertise with reporting and dashboarding software such as Tableau.
- Experience working with data engineers to define data warehousing requirements.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Complete Sprout’s New Hire training program alongside other new Sprout team members.
- Become familiar with data sources available in our production databases and data warehouse.
- Become familiar with existing reporting in Tableau.
- Learn about Airflow and our ETL processes.
- Begin meeting with business stakeholders to understand their reporting and analytic needs.
- Begin to understand our business, product, customers, and market.
- Learn Sprout's management practices and tools.
Within 3 months, you will:
- Partner with product and business stakeholders to understand their roadmaps and initiatives.
- Meet with direct reports regularly to provide them with support and immediate feedback.
- Invest and grow our analytics team by helping hire additional Data Analysts.
- Query our data warehouse to answer questions for our stakeholders and team.
- Generate technical requirements for new data sources for our data engineers.
- Create new data sources in Tableau and Redshift.
- Create or lead the development of new dashboards in Tableau.
- Contribute to formulating a vision for the future of the analytics program at Sprout. Gather input from the team and all stakeholders on what’s working well, what their needs are, and how the team might best align to the current and future business.
Within 6 months, you will:
- Lead the development of analytic solutions, from ETL through dashboarding and reporting in Tableau.
- Develop a pipeline of high-value analytics projects.
- Improve the analytics practice to move beyond reporting and data curation to generating actionable insights. Help create a framework for measuring the impact of decisions the analysis helped inform. Did it work? Why or why not?
- Establish rituals and processes for best communicating the results of the team’s work.
- Work with our Data Scientists to help improve experimental practices at Sprout.
- Help develop the career bands and growth for analysts at Sprout.
- Complete a cycle of career band and performance review evaluations for your direct reports. Collaborate on their career growth plans.
Within 12 months, you will:
- Own an analytics practice that is creating actionable insights that drive improvements to business stakeholders across Sprout.
- Help create a structure to support the organization’s business intelligence needs through a central, prioritized, organized, predictable development and analysis process.
- Contribute to establishing standards around analytics best practices.
- Incorporate statistical rigor into our analyses and reports.
- Educate business stakeholders about how to use data and analytics to derive insights and drive change.
- Level-up our analysts through mentorship, coaching and guidance.
- Create leverage for your team by leveling up the data and analysis skills of others throughout the company.
- Surprise us! Use your unique ideas and abilities to change your team in beneficial ways that we haven’t even considered yet.
Of course, what is outlined above is the ideal timeline, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
About Sprout Social
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success.
Team Sprout is a group of very talented, smart and passionate people with broad interests and backgrounds. We believe that true employee engagement cannot happen if you can’t bring your whole self to work, so we’re committed to building a diverse team, embracing an inclusive culture and investing in equity across our organization. That dedication is core to Sprout. We want all candidates, particularly those coming from traditionally underrepresented groups in the technology industry, to know they are welcome at Sprout.
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for software, product and company culture achievements. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun. We have built a benefits program to match the strength of our team. This program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families, including generous company contributions
- Progressive benefit programs, like our parental leave program and free Divvy bike memberships
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment - your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago’s Loop
- Solid programs in some of the staples: transportation, disability and life insurance
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and financial well-being of our team
- Breakfast and lunch options onsite, and more healthy snack options and beverages than you can imagine
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members