Manager Research Analyst at Morningstar
The Group: Morningstar’s Research group provides independent analysis on individual securities, funds, markets, and portfolios. The Research group also provides data on hundreds of thousands of investment offerings, including stocks, mutual funds, and similar vehicles, along with real-time global market data on millions of equities, indexes, futures, options, commodities, and precious metals, in addition to foreign exchange and Treasury markets. Morningstar is one of the largest independent sources of fund, equity, and credit data and research in the world, and our advocacy for investors’ interests is the foundation of our company.
The Role: As a manager research analyst, your objective and independent research on funds and other investment vehicles will help individuals, intermediaries, and institutional investor make better investment decisions, which is Morningstar’s primary mission. The position requires a real passion for investing along with strong analytical, presentational and writing skills. In this role, you will research and rate funds and other investment vehicles such as separately managed accounts, while also developing broader investment expertise that contributes to the team’s thought leadership. You will work within one of our asset class teams: equity, fixed income, multi-asset, or alternatives. The position is based in our Chicago office.
- Develop clear opinions to support forward-looking ratings on funds and other investment vehicles based on research that focuses on the funds’ management team, strategy, parent company, performance and expenses.
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative analysis using our databases, monitoring regulatory information, interviewing portfolio managers, and leading on-site due diligence visits of asset-management firms.
- Monitor important developments in the fund industry, markets, and the broader economy.
- Develop expertise in various asset classes, asset management firms, and the overall industry.
- Author analytical research reports, articles, and industry studies.
- Discuss ratings and reports with external institutional clients and internal investment management group.
- Represent Morningstar by speaking to media, conferences, industry associations and regulators.
- A bachelor's degree is required; a graduate degree and/or Chartered Financial Analyst® designation (or interest in pursuing one or the other) is preferred.
- Passion for investing and for helping investors make better investment decisions.
- Excellent analytical, writing and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work at times independently, and at other times within a collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated expertise in equities, fixed income, multi-asset class, or alternatives is desirable.
Please submit a writing sample that demonstrates your writing and analytical skills, along with a resume and cover letter. Applications without all three items will not be considered. We read every cover letter and writing sample. Writing is an important part of this job.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.