META-DATA SPECIALIST at Cat Digital
JOB PURPOSE: The Metadata Lead is responsible for developing, implementing, and managing business and technical metadata, including data dictionaries, data lineage and all associated metadata initiatives across Cat Digital. This position may provide consultation to others that provide data to the system or to those who consume data from the system. The overall goal is to insure the data quality meets the expectations needed for the business and that the data is governed and managed to meet brand, legal, information security, and document retention standards.
Manage and approve list of Critical Data Elements (CDEs) including providing domains with guidelines and support for prioritizing CDEs. Establish, monitor and enforce business processes and standards for metadata management and compliance. Provide template for structuring business metadata (e.g., business definitions, security/access levels, data quality rules) and technical metadata (e.g., technical/physical data elements, data lineage). Aggregate domain data dictionaries into enterprise data dictionary. Create documentation for resolving data discrepancy issues or for data entry requirements. Create and manage contact lists for all source and consuming systems to address data discrepancy or data governance needs. Learn any data steward tools utilized in systems for analyzing data and making changes needed for quality outcomes of data. This can include the data entry or can include rule management in cases where master data decision tools are used to finalize a quality data result. Participate in requirements for any technical implementations or enhancements to the data management systems. Create metrics reporting on enterprise data management activities as defined. Participate in team or project meetings as requested for data access. Interact with people from multiple business areas to determine the correct actions for data changes. This may require scheduling meetings or escalating questions or concerns appropriately.
Maintain knowledge of functional technology of the data management systems as they change with upgrades and new releases.
Ensure compliance with the latest data standards supported by the company, and brand, legal, information security (data security and privacy compliance). Understand data requests specific to project needs and be able to prioritize work to achieve the desired results to meet the business goals for those projects.
Define the data governance standards. Execute maturity assessments of metadata on a defined frequency. Identify missing or incorrect data and data standards. Work at an enterprise level of interaction with responsibilities of providing data to multiple consuming systems where the actions taken must be very well defined to not impact revenue generating business activities or manage data volumes at extremely high levels where the process and quality are more complex due to the nature of the volume or data. Closely interact with the business and provide master data subject matter expert input to various project teams as it relates to master data management and governance. Create and maintain consistent reference data and master data definitions. Create the data management strategy and define continuous improvement goals of data quality, governance and processes. Provide consultation on use of data from other groups with reports or applications or other accesses.
Create leadership presentations and interact with leaders in setting direction for data management needs.
Incumbent will be able to take direction for other data related duties as provided by the leadership team.
Minimal travel required (less than 25% of working time)
- Four year degree from an accredited college or university in a related field
- 8+ years of data management experience
- 3+ years of experience with metadata management practices, metadata issues and processes
Top Candidates may also have:
- Knowledge of company products, services, product applications, dealer network and their business model as well as a global business understanding
- Good human relations skills are also required to deveop a cooperative work environment with others inside and outside the department
- Strong written and spoken communication skills with a variety of audiences
- Well organized and self – driven to determine the appropriate approaches to the data needs of each request
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills to evaluate the impact on multiple other systems when data changes are made
- Solid process management skills to understand the incoming data feeds and requests as well as the consuming users and applications to evaluate changes.
- Composure to resolve conflicts for achieving something quickly versus insuring system stability for the enterprise.
- Be able to motivate and develop others to create an effective team for achieving positive business outcomes.
- Work experience with Query writing and other analytical tools
- Full Office Product knowledge
Caterpillar is not currently hiring individuals for this position who now or in the future require sponsorship for employment visa status; however, as a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers.