PRINCIPAL SOFTWARE ENGINEER, ANALYTICS EXECUTION at Cat Digital
Interested in harnessing the power of predictive analytics and machine learning to Caterpillar’s CAT Digital deliver “smarter iron?” Using a combination of telemetry, enterprise and dealer/customer data, CAT Digital data scientists are building models to prevent catastrophic machine failure, turn unplanned maintenance to planned and to make more accurate repair recommendations. On CAT Digital’s “Helios” IOT platform, which heavily leverages the AWS cloud platform, you’ll work with Amazon’s AI and ML services to deploy, optimize and monitor predictive models that keeps Caterpillar equipment running efficiently. This technical lead position will have you working closely with data scientists and data architects to operationalize the models they deliver. You will design, implement, test, document, and support cross-cutting services to help customers do machine learning at scale. You will serve as a key technical resource in the full development cycle, from conception to delivery and maintenance. You will own delivery of entire piece of the system and serve as technical lead on complex projects using best practice engineering standards.
Responsibilities of the incumbents are across functional lines with individuals assigned in new program development and/or maintenance of existing mobile, WEB, Cloud, server, personal computer, mainframe, and/or distributed computing systems. This individual will also work collaboratively with other engineering teams to ensure cross-functional goals are met.
- Competent to perform all programming, project management, and development assignments without close supervision; normally assigned the more complex aspects of systems work.
- Lead role in complex projects spanning across multiple system components
- Work in all phases of product creation process including creating technical requirements, project planning, identifying dependencies, system architecture and development.
- Investigation and root cause analysis of software and system defects.
- Focus on productivity, quality and competitiveness of major technology initiatives.
- Apply knowledge and skills to solve most complex engineering problems.
- Organize and drive configuration management activities of the development process
- Works directly on complex application/technical problem identification and resolution, including responding to off-shift and weekend support calls.
- Works independently on complex systems or infrastructure components that may be used by one or more applications or systems.
- Drives application development focused around delivering business valuable features
- Mentor and assist software engineers, providing technical assistance and direction as needed
- Maintains high standards of software quality by establishing good practices and habits
- Identifies and encourage areas for growth and improvement
- Communicate with end users and internal customers to help direct development, debugging, and testing of application software for accuracy, integrity, interoperability, and completeness
- Performs integrated testing and customer acceptance testing of components that requires careful planning and execution to ensure timely, quality results.
- Position requires a four-year degree in Computer science or Electrical engineering from an accredited college or university.
- 10 years or more of software development experience or at least 8 years of experience with master’s degree in computer science or related field.
- Minimum 5 years of hands-on experience with enterprise software delivery leveraging AWS technologies
- 5 years of demonstrated experience leading software engineering projects.
- 5 years or more of experience in designing and developing software applications in Java or Scala or at least three years of experience in Java or Scala with master’s degree in computer science or related field.
- Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
- Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
Top candidates will also have:
- Experience building cloud-based predictive analytics software system
- Experience with Machine Learning, data mining, and/or statistical analysis tools such as Python, IBM/SPSS, SAS,R or MATLAB is a plus
- Experience with full predictive analytics modeling lifecycle – build, train, deploy, monitor, optimize – at scale
- Hands on experience with Amazon’s AI and ML Services, particularly SageMaker
- A Master’s degree in Computer science or Electrical engineering from an accredited college of university
- Demonstrated leadership on medium to large-scale projects impacting strategic priorities.
- Ability to cope with shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to effectively prioritize, delegate responsibilities and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Proven experience in many of the following,
- Designing, developing, deploying and maintaining software at scale.
- Developing software applications using relational and Nosql databases.
- Application architectural patterns, such as MVC, Microservices, Event-driven, etc.
- Deploying software using CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, GoCD, Azure Devops etc.
- Deploying and maintaining software using public clouds such as AWS or Azure.
- Working within an Agile framework (ideally Scrum)
- Strong understanding and/or experience in many of the following,
- Batch or stream processing systems such as Apache Spark, Flink, Akka, Storm
- Message brokers such as Kafka, Rabbitmq, AWS SQS, AWS SNS, Apache ActiveMQ, Kinesis.
- Experience designing well-defined Restful APIs
- Experience writing API proxies on platforms such as Apigee Edge, AWS API Gateway or Azure API Gateway
- Hands one experience with API tools such as Swagger, Postman and Assertible
- Test driven development and behavior driven development.
- Hands on experience with testing tools such as Selenium and Cucumber and their integration into CI/CD pipelines.
- Datastores such as MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis, Elasticsearch, MySQL, Oracle.
- Debugging and maintaining software in Linux or Unix platforms.
- 3 years or more of developing customer facing applications using front-end frameworks, libraries ( React / Angular / Polymer / Vue) and design patterns.
- Understanding of front-end state management libraries (redux)
- Must demonstrate solid knowledge of computer science fundamentals like data structures and algorithms.
- Ability to work under pressure and within time constraints
- Passion for technology and an eagerness to contribute to a team-oriented environment
- Demonstrated leadership on small to medium-scale projects impacting strategic priorities