Senior Business Intelligence Engineer at Beyond Finance
About Beyond Finance
Beyond Finance is an exciting next generation FinTech company headquartered in Houston with additional offices in San Diego and Chicago. We provide financial products that are easy to use and accessible that aim to improve people’s lives. As the consumer debt market continues to grow in the United States, we have made it our objective to create a transparent and fair debt management service that is customized to the consumer’s individual situation.
Our leadership team has extensive experience and expertise in the financial services and debt management marketplace. We are reinventing the market by investing in innovative technologies to best serve our customers. Our workforce is a community made up of celebrated, diverse backgrounds working towards the common objective of developing something transformational for the debt settlement industry.
About the Role
As a Sr. Business Intelligence Engineer you will work closely with end business users to determine data needs of the business area and discuss the meaning of the data coming from the source system. You’ll also come up with your own recommendations and ideas of what can be done with the data beyond the initial requirements.
You must be willing to take a deep dive in the data and understand the meaning, understand idiosyncrasies and communicate at both a technical and business level. You’ll create data structures which are useful for multiple internal stakeholders solving immediate needs and anticipating long term questions. You’ll ensure the definitions are documented and serve as a coach to others who use the data.
What you’ll do
- Develop a deep understanding of existing data in at least one system, including how the data is produced and used by the application. This will involve examining the data by writing SQL and, examining the data for anomalies and patterns, and confirming popular opinion
- Knowledge of dimensional modeling techniques and the ability to come up with a model which will help business users easily understand the data instead of expecting business users to understand how the operational system works.
- Document and map the existing data structures from the operational system to the new curated data structures and author the ETL (Exact, Transform, Load) scripts.
- Work with various business groups to understand their short and long-term business needs and create a plan to deliver the data using the existing system or requesting new data be produced
- Drive the governance process of ensuring all stakeholders are congruent on the meaning of the data and it’s well documented
- Build the BI layer of abstraction, providing the meaning created for BI reporting; ensure BI access is considered when providing access to data and reporting
- Build BI reports when needed and train others in the ability to build BI reports, teaching them the concepts and complexities
What We Look For
- Understand relational databases, tables, columns, and data types
- Be fluent in writing complicated SQL
- Solid understanding of dimensional modeling and understanding of when to use the technique and why it’s helpful.
- Demonstrate proficiency in visualizing data using BI tools like PowerBI, Looker, Tableau, or similar
- Ability to communicate to a wide range of business users by adapting to their vocabulary.
- Facilitate meetings with stakeholders with the ability to drive consensus
- 5+ years experience as BI engineer/architect designing and deploying reporting data models and creating visualizations
- Mastery of database and data warehouse methodologies and techniques from transactional databases to dimensional data modeling, to wide denormalized data marts
- Deep understanding of SQL-based Big Data systems and experience with modern ETL tools
- Expertise in designing data warehouses using Snowflake (Postgres and Redshift will be considered)
- Experience using Looker API calls is a plus
- Ability to coach / mentor junior members on the team
- Methodical approach to problem solving / breaking large tasks into smaller deliverables
- Fluency in different SQL techniques for data transformation and data analysis
- Experience developing data pipelines in Python
- Familiarity with software engineering best practices as they apply to data engineering domain
Why join us?
We are looking for great people to join a fast-paced, growing, and innovative business. We offer:
- Considerable employer contributions for health, dental and vision programs
- Flexible personal time-off
- 401(K) match
- Merit advancement opportunities
- Career development & training
More importantly, our team spirit and culture are what really sets us apart as a company. We’re a world-class Financial Technology company that loves what we do…and we have fun doing it!
*Beyond Finance is an equal opportunity Employer*