Avant is dedicated to building premier digital banking solutions for the middle class through a combination of technology, analytics and superior customer service. Since 2012, Avant has connected over 1.5 million customers to over $7.5 billion in loans and 800,000 credit cards. A high growth financial technology company, Avant has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, TechCrunch, Fortune, Bloomberg, and has raised over $600 million of equity capital. Visit www.avant.com for more information.
***This position can be remote anywhere in the United States***
Avant is looking for a Data Engineering Associate to join the Data Platform team in Chicago. As a member of the Data Platform team, you will be responsible for maintaining and optimizing the applications and infrastructure underlying our ETL processes and data-access framework.
We are looking for someone with strong technical abilities in Python and SQL and meaningful experience developing cloud-based data pipelines. Experience with our specific stack including AWS, PySpark, AirFlow, Dremio, and Looker is a plus. A successful Data Platform Associate will develop a thorough understanding of our platform, have the investigative ability to identify inefficiencies and the technical ability to engineer solutions to problems touching data storage, processing, and access.
What you do at Avant:
- Own the performance of Dremio, our analytics engine
- Ensure we meet SLAs around uptime and speed
- Develop a deep understanding of its query planner to refactor inefficient or hanging queries
- Propose and implement changes to the underlying data model to optimize performance based on usage
- Develop internal tools to facilitate data access and enable operational excellence through automation
- Identify inefficiencies in how data is stored, processed, and used; engineer solutions to ensure our platform is performant and efficient.
Why you are a fit for Avant:
- Bachelor’s degree in a field such as computer science, software engineering or equivalent work
- 4+ years’ experience in data engineering
- 4+ years’ experience with Python and SQL
- Experience working with large data sets
- Experience working with a Business Intelligence tool
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Must be a self-starter and able to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills
Check out our Avant Blog!
Why Avant is a fit for you:
At Avant, we believe our values make a difference:
We value, support, and help each other grow
We are committed to active inclusion and diversity
We are transparent and believe the best idea wins
We succeed when our customers succeed
We get sh!t done… responsibly
And we keep it fun!
We believe that ideas are more important than titles, everything is more fun together, everyone drives change, and everyone is an owner. While we believe the perks and benefits that we offer are terrific, nothing excites us more than having the ability to collaborate with intelligent, highly-motivated and talented people on challenging problems as we work to change the face of online lending.
Avant is an equal opportunity employer and individuals seeking employment are considered without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation or gender identity), age, disability or genetic information or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local law, regulation or ordinance.