SENIOR PRINCIPAL DIGITAL ARCHITECT, CLOUD PLATFORM at Cat Digital
To serve as a consultant, sponsor and expert in Digital Architecture where decisions and recommendations are recognized as authoritative and that have a significant impact on digital strategy and business results.
This position is recognized, both within Caterpillar and within the industry, as an expert in the digital field. This position plays a global leadership role in Digital Technology within Caterpillar and is very proactive in nature. At this level, individuals must demonstrate creativity, foresight and mature judgment as they anticipate and solve unprecedented business problems, determine program objectives and requirements, organize programs and projects, and develop standards and guides for diverse digital activities. Projects are typically very complex and integrate business issues and problems, multiple application solutions, and multiple Digital Technologies across various architectures. Individuals at this level provide thought leadership and strategy to drive transformational change within Caterpillar and Digital.
Key areas of responsibility will include some/all of the following: Communicate the Cat Digital vision and strategy to customers, dealers, other team members, suppliers, and other business units globally. Perform needs analysis and initiate ideas. Collaborate, consult, and support other digital professionals, managers, marketing personnel, customers, dealers and suppliers globally. Proactively design, evaluate and promote new products, processes, technologies and solutions. Represent the company externally, both nationally and internationally.
Representative activities of this position include: conceiving and planning research and development projects of significance to the overall digital strategy for which precedents are currently lacking; consulting extensively with associates and others, with a high degree of reliance placed on the incumbent’s interpretation and advice; contributing innovations, new designs or solutions that are regarded as major advances in the field; initiating and maintaining extensive contacts with key architects and officials of other organizations and companies, requiring skilled persuasion and negotiation of critical issues. The incumbent is expected to consistently act with a global perspective and impact.
Decisions made at this level are far reaching and affect the teams with whom they consult, Caterpillar business and digital strategy. Decisions may have significant impact on things such as strategic vendor relationships, transformational programs, enterprise architecture, sales and customer perception. Some of the key challenges facing this position are: leveraging knowledge to others; balancing short-term thinking against long-term strategy; developing strategic partners; delivering state-of-the-art solutions, architecture, and research projects as well as consistently acting in a proactive manner to advance Information Technology and Digital strategy.
An individual in this role is expected to manage the body of knowledge used in developing deep expertise. The Senior Principal Architect owns global knowledge management for an digital functional area. This includes responsibility for mentoring and developing others, particularly new members of their community. This position may also be responsible for developing training materials in a field, developing and/or leading the development of documentation of processes and knowledge (e.g. design standards, EA Standards, design patterns, test procedures, etc.), developing successors, and personally mentoring others as needed.
Technical leadership skills and ability to concept and sell ideas is paramount at this level. This position must not only keep up to date on digital trends but be able to apply that technology as well. Senior Architects must manage their own development, continuously learning through experience and staying abreast or ahead of technology. Technical skill development will focus on technology time/cost analysis, risk analysis and problem solving, and development of acceptance or test criteria. They must consider the impacts and nature of their technologies within the scope of a global business. Building relationships with other digital personnel, both in and out of Caterpillar, is important.
- Strong demonstratable experience delivering product and/or enterprise architecture for enterprise scale solutions in public cloud and hybrid eco-systems.
- Must have in-depth understand and experience in two or more of the following: massive real-time event and message processing, data lakes, Big Data transformations and analytics, complex e-commerce applications, IoT edge and cloud data processing, SQL and NoSQL data modeling
- Strong understanding of Agile SDLC implementation in public cloud eco-system including environments management, test automation, peer review, CI/CD, resource optimization, etc.
- Must have excellent communication skills and be able to deal with sensitive issues, mentor and coach and/or persuade others on new technologies, new applications, or potential solutions.
Top Candidates will also have:
- Progressively related experience and recognition as a company expert is necessary.
- Familiarity with ML and data analytics
- Understanding of enterprise data integration and analytical platforms (C3 IoT, Pentaho, Snaplogic,..)
- Hands on experience with Core Java, Spring, Python, etc.
- Hands-on development experience in public cloud environment (AWS preferred)
- Open source project contribution
- Experience with high speed distributed computing frameworks AWS EMR, Hadoop, HDFS, S3, MapReduce, Apache Spark, Apache Hive, Kafka Streams, Apache Flink etc.
- Experience with distributed message brokers Kafka, RabbitMQ, ActiveMQ, Amazon Kinesis, etc.
- Experience with cloud technologies and migrations. Experience preferred with AWS foundational services like VPCs, Security groups, EC2, RDS, S3 ACLs, KMS, AWS CLI and IAM etc.
- Experience with Big Data architectures and BI solutions
- Working knowledge of DevOps tools. Eg Terraform, Ansible, Jenkins, Maven/Gradle, Nexus/Artifactory and CI/CD pipeline etc.
- Development skills should include the ability to design and develop scalable, flexible and resilient solutions. Experience implementing development best practices such as Continuous Integration (CI), Test Driven Development (TDD), defensive coding and code reviews required.
- Familiarity with Hadoop and/or other Big Data ecosystems required.
- Experience in real time solutions leveraging Kafka and other event driven technologies