Senior Quantitative Equity Research Analyst at Morningstar
About the Role
Morningstar Equity Research is expanding its quantitative research team and looking for a knowledgeable, enthusiastic, creative, and results-driven individual with 5+ years of experience in quantitative data analysis to join us. The team’s mandate is broad: to accelerate the pace of innovation across the Equity Research department. Its scope of potential activities is diverse: devising methodologies to enhance our equity research and ratings, developing tools to empower our 100+ equity analysts, and partnering with colleagues to create novel ways to classify, compare, and evaluate asset types that Morningstar does not yet cover—ranging from “real” assets like timberland to intangible assets like cryptocurrencies. The role will report to Morningstar’s Director of New and Experimental Research, situated within the Equity Research department.
• Pursue a deep understanding of Morningstar’s equity research methodologies, analyst workflows, data requirements, and client needs.
• Partner with equity research colleagues globally to identify areas where we might apply quantitative methods to benefit our analyst teams and customers.
• Independently develop new methodologies, processes, or tools to empower our analysts and enhance our research.
• Evaluate the efficacy of new or existing methodologies using Python or R
• Collaborate on new methodologies and data sets for asset types Morningstar does not yet classify or evaluate at scale.
• Create detailed specification documents and client-facing white papers
• Communicate clear and concise project status information to key stakeholders, including the Morningstar product teams and clients
• Facilitate adoption of new methodologies, processes, and tools by hosting training sessions for equity analyst teams globally.
• Bachelor’s degree is required; Accounting/Finance/Economics/Computer Science preferred
• Progress toward or attainment of CFA designation is considered an asset
• Strong Microsoft Excel skills and moderate Python skills (with a high willingness to continue learning)
• Firm grasp of equity data and an interest in equity research
• More than 5 years of experience in quantitative data analysis, preferably related to investment research.
• Ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and succinctly.
• Strong analytical and logical reasoning skills.
• Effective time management skills
• Comfortable taking the initiative and working without detailed guidance or supervision
• Proactive and positive attitude and a team player