Sr. Data Engineer at Echo Global Logistics (Chicago, IL)
Echo Global Logistics is a top provider of technology-enabled solutions and supply chain management. Our solutions simplify transportation management for our clients by handling the crucial tasks. From coast to coast, dock to dock, and across all major transportation modes, Echo connects businesses to the carriers who transport their goods quickly, securely, and cost-effectively.
Crain's Business recently ranked Echo as a Top 25 Tech Employer in Chicago. We've also been recognized as the top 3PL provider. We're seeking passionate, driven and imaginative minds to join our team and help carry out our mission of providing our clients with best in class service and technology!
The Senior Data Engineer contributes and leads the design, development, integrations, and management of Echo's large scale data solutions while supporting the strategic architectural vision of quality, scalability, performance, and function.
- Lead and owns data design, coding, testing, and development of on-premise and off-premise extensible, sustainable, quality value driven data solutions based on an understanding of business and customer requirements and needs.
- Collaborate with teams on product design, data modelling, technical diagrams, updates to the data dictionary, creation of standards, code reviews for efficient and optimal running queries and work directly with stakeholders to support and solve complex challenges.
- Exhibits comprehensive, methodical engineering judgment, and effectively manages trade-offs among data volumes, number of users logical and physical distribution, response times, retention rules, security, and domain controls.
- Lead in the research, evaluation and building Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation, Durability (ACID) data solutions.
- Automate, simplify, implement, and continuously improve the data environments and processes.
- Commands a broad awareness of technologies and industry trends related to data and Cloud technologies.
- Hands-on contributor that teaches by example and mentors others on best practices and technical acumen.
- Open to new ideas and encourages innovative practices.
- Acts in the interest of the overall team.
- Balances best practice decisions with delivering high business value (right vs right now).
- Able to multi-task in a fast paced, fluid work environment.
- Customer focus and value driven.
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science or equivalent years of experience.
- 5- 8 years working with commercial-grade database systems and technical experience leveraging the following:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 - 2019.
- Solid T-SQL, SSIS, SSRS, ETL/ELT, data structures and data flows, logical and physical data modeling, stored procedures, schema design, security, backup/recovery, and data integrity skills.
- Working knowledge of serverless\\lambdas in Python\\C#\\Node.js and .Net frameworks.
- Experience with Aurora\\Redshift, S3, API Gateway and good understanding of IAM\\Security, VPC, peering in a context of building near real time data driven applications.
- Proficient in performance tuning, troubleshooting and resolution knowledge including root cause analysis (RCA).
- Object Oriented programming - Inheritance, Encapsulation, Polymorphism, and Data abstraction.
- Proficient in implementing and supporting High-Availability and Disaster Recovery for data solutions
- Aware of Scrum\\Agile methodologies and Continuous Delivery and Integrations CD/CI.
- Solid experience with Cloud data technologies specific to AWS (DynamoDB, Aurora, Redshift, RDS) and NoSQL.
- Solid understanding of event stream processing (Kafka, RabbitMQ, Kinesis).
- Experience and ability to work with multiple database platforms besides SQL Server.
- Experience with Visual Studio development tools.
- Strong planning and organizational skills; excellent verbal and written communication skills; able to present clean, organized, and thorough information and data appropriate for intended audience.
- Cloud Certification - Preference is AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner or other Cloud focus.
- 24/7 Support on-call rotation.
- Informatica and Master Data Management (MDM) is a plus.
- Google Looker platform is a plus.
Work environment/physical demands summary:
This job operates in an office environment and uses a computer, telephone and other office equipment as needed to perform duties. The noise level in the work environment is typical of that of an office with an open seating floor plan. The employee may encounter frequent interruptions throughout the workday. The employee is regularly required to sit, talk, or hear.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or Vietnam era or other protected veteran.