SR. DATA SCIENTIST, CAT DIGITAL at Caterpillar
Caterpillar is the world's leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. Our products have evolved from simple mechanical workhorses to sophisticated, electronically controlled work-site solutions. This transformation, along with our smart factories and our integrated dealer network, has provided a wealth of Big Data that is mined and analyzed across various segments such as product development, manufacturing, supply chain, marketing, sales and customer support.
Cat Digital is leading Caterpillar and our industry with the utilization of data, analytics, innovation, digital channels and techniques to drive profit, create more efficient revenue growth, unlock new revenue streams, and provide more durable competitive advantages for the business through great experiences for our customers. Come join a world class organization and play a key role in Caterpillar’s digital transformation!
Cat Digital’s Business Analytics team is looking for a talented and motivated Sr. Data Scientist to help solve business development challenges using advanced analytical methods. As a Sr. Data Scientist, you will be asked to lead projects using various data domains including but not limited to - dealer and customer information, workorder and invoice, engineering, pricing, finance, and warranty etc. He or she will demonstrate very good communication skills and the ability to explain conclusions to customers with limited knowledge and experience with quantitative analytical methods. Candidates for this position will not be expected to have previous experience as the technical lead on project teams, but should exhibit strong communication skills, a penchant for innovation, and above average initiative, people development, and interpersonal skills.
The principal responsibility of the Sr. Data Scientist is to be an independent contributor to multi-person analytics team. This position has a depth of knowledge in quantitative analytic methods, data management, and or associated digital technologies suitable to handle all but the most complex issues. Sr. Data Scientists are expected to be familiar with the company’s processes, products, and organization, as well as its customers, competitors, and stakeholders. Work is typically directed by a direct supervisor, project or team lead through a review of results. Decisions on routine, medium risk issues that may affect the project team, suppliers or internal customers may be made by this position. Challenges include meeting expectations in delivering results, learning to refine solutions to better fit complex situations, making timely decisions, and communicating effectively with all project stakeholders. The Sr. Data Scientist also mentors and develops the capabilities and organizational knowledge of more junior data scientists and associates.
- MS degree in Engineering, Mathematics or Data Science
- 5-7+ years of experience working on analytics projects including: querying databases using SQL, high-level programming, and modeling. At least 2 years using Python (including data science libraries such as Pandas, NumPy, SciPy, and Scikit-learn) or equivalent prominent data analysis environment (R, SAS, etc.)
- Experience with different types of databases such as Snowflake, SQL server, DB2 and Oracle
- Practical knowledge of Cloud computing and software development for cloud environments
Top Candidates Will Also Have:
- Thorough knowledge of Caterpillar Inc.; its products and services; its internal systems, processes, and procedures; and its relevant external influences (competitors, laws and regulations, market conditions, etc.)
- Strong technical and problem-solving skills and evidence of continuous learning in the analytics field
- Breadth and depth of knowledge in the application of statistical and/or digital methods to solve business problems
- Competency in coaching and mentoring Jr. Data Scientists in the creation, validation, and application of statistical models as well as in implementing digital solutions
- Experience leading analytics projects connecting data from various business domains and providing forecasts and insights to run the business profitably
- Strong initiative to research and apply new methods and digital technologies to exceed customer expectations.
- Must have ability to communicate effectively with team members and others in the work group, as well as with customers
Caterpillar is proud of the role we play in building the world's infrastructure. The work we do drives progress for millions of people around the globe.
Visa sponsorship available for eligible applicants.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here.