SR DATA SCIENTIST at Caterpillar
At Caterpillar, we build more than machines – our ideas and solutions can transform our customers' businesses and lives, our communities and our world. If you’re ready for leadership opportunities, meaningful responsibilities and the autonomy to pursue your passion, come join the Caterpillar team.
Caterpillar’s Global Finance organization is leveraging disruptive technologies and quantitative methods to solve business opportunities, drive competitive advantages, and enhance business insight capabilities. As the Senior Data Scientist, you will lead diverse project teams, comprised of various internal business units, data scientists, external partners, and subject matter experts to solve problems of medium to high complexity.
Most of these projects will be of significant complexity and will often involve efforts across many functional areas within business units and potentially across multiple divisions. The primary responsibility of this position will be to deploy machine learning forecasting capabilities across the enterprise.
Caterpillar’s Global Finance organization is focused on increasing analytics-based insights while decreasing transactional efforts. As the Senior Data Scientist, you will play a strategic role, tasked with formulating new and creative ideas for leveraging disruptive technologies to effectively utilize the business’ vast assortment of data. This role includes both day-to-day initiatives and strategic vision development.
In this role, you will own and support ongoing operations for the machine learning forecasting capabilities by generating forecasts periodically, recalibrating and rebuilding the models as required, and continuously enhancing the solution. Additionally, you will support future deployment across the enterprise and scope expansion.
- Own the process for advanced analytics forecasting solution
- Own solution methodology – build, refresh, and maintain forecasting models
- Manage all aspects of the solution, including data ingestion, preparation, visualization interface, and governance
- Contribute to internal R&D efforts in cutting-edge areas of forecasting, including graph analytics and deep learning / AI
- Engage with business and finance leaders to understand their organizational strategy, risks, and overall business outlook
- Manage intake of forecasting requests – responsible and accountable for fulfilling prioritized forecasting requests
- Partner with finance leaders to understand the feasibility of the predictive forecast and make refinements to the models to reflect business scenarios
- Define use cases and design deliverables for new initiatives
- Perform technical feasibility analysis on new initiatives
- Lead, mentor, and develop other analysts on the team
- Proven innovative mindset, intellectual curiosity, courage, and emotional intelligence
- Cross-functional team player with strong problem solving and communication skills
- Motivation to continuously learn and expand skillset on new technologies
- Comfort in visualizing and presenting data to executives and other stakeholders in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated in-depth technical capabilities and finance knowledge
- High-level understanding of major machine learning techniques and their real-world advantages and drawbacks
- Leading, coaching, and developing additional team members with diverse backgrounds
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in statistics, economics, mathematics, engineering, econometrics, OR a similar field with quantitative coursework
- 3-5 years of professional experience utilizing quantitative analysis
Top Candidates will also have:
- Master’s Degree and 3-5 years of experience, or a PhD and 1-3 years of experience in relevant experience is also acceptable
- Ideal candidate will have experience with Graph Database platform and/or Cypher language
- Experience with forecasting techniques such as (Arima, Holt Winters, Neural Net, etc.)
- Qualifications for working in the FP&A domain and with data on the cloud architecture
- Deep experience in the R programming language and visualization packages (ReactJS, Power BI, etc.)
- Comfortable working industry standard data visualization and statistics packages
- Must demonstrate strengths in leadership, initiative, innovation, delegation, judgment, planning and organizing, and the ability to communicate effectively with multiple levels of management, including with team members
This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers
Caterpillar is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO).
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.