Sr. Manager, Data Science, Zoro at Zoro (Remote)
Zoro offers millions and millions of products - an endless aisle with everything you need to run your business. We offer fast and free shipping, no-hassle returns, and exceptional customer service. We've grown quickly in a short time and are continuing to do so while aggressively growing our revenue. We are excited to be a part of an award-winning culture - we have been named a Great Place to Work for multiple years in a row, among other local and national accolades. We think Zoro is a pretty amazing place to work and grow, and think you will too!
Zoro is looking for a talented leader to continue our growth in data science and machine learning. The Senior Manager of Data Science will provide both leadership and technical guidance to a team of Data Scientists.
This person will be responsible for understanding Zoro's business objectives and how data science contributes to those objectives, as well as serving as a technical resource for the team about various models and methodologies. The ideal candidate will have a track record of leading a data science team, developing team members' technical and non-technical skills, and delivering models into production.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establish a roadmap for using data science projects to address complex problems in one or more business areas
- Proactively identify opportunities to apply machine learning and statistical methods to help business partners make critical decisions
- Lead interactions with business teams to discover, scope, and prioritize projects
- Collaborate across the organization to develop and implement large-scale machine learning solutions
- Drive adoption of data science best practices within the team and find ways to improve the team's effectiveness through the introduction of tools and processes
- Conduct code reviews and technical deep dives to help the team produce high quality outputs
- Advocate for testing and learning throughout the organization, including helping to establish methodologies for measuring performance of tests
- Mentor, guide, and develop data scientists and analysts within the team
- Bachelor's degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, or related quantitative field required; Master's degree preferred
- 5+ years of experience in predictive analytics or equivalent, including practical experience with various machine learning techniques and statistical models
- 5+ years of experience using Python
- Understanding of models used in e-commerce environments such as those for customer churn, customer retention, cross-sell/upsell, onsite search, recommendations, incrementality modeling and testing, marketing mix modeling, and personalization
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with strong attention to detail
- Extensive experience in leading cross functional projects and building consensus
- Deep knowledge of machine learning techniques such as decision trees, SVMs, and neural networks, as well as the theory behind those techniques
- Advanced understanding about how businesses operate and make decisions
- Proven ability to manage and develop a team of data scientists
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Zoro Values and Inclusive Culture:
We share a commitment to our Zoro values - Win & Lose Together (We prefer winning!), Take Ownership, We Are Transparent, and Aspire to be Customer-Obsessed. Everything we do at Zoro is centered around delighting our customers. It's a natural extension of our company culture and how we care for each other. We believe when we act in ways that are consistent with these values, we can solve any technical challenge that lies ahead of us. As a Zoro employee, you can expect to work with smart, energetic people, learn something every day, and be valued for your perspective.
Zoro is dedicated to fostering an environment where people of all backgrounds and beliefs are represented, and all team members can be confident that their experiences and perspectives are valued. Zoro aims to empower all employees to learn about, raise awareness, and promote diversity and inclusion through all of our workplace interactions. Zoro is a place where everyone can learn, grow and thrive.
We recognize the courage and effort it takes to apply for your next opportunity. We also recognize that there is rarely such thing as a perfect candidate. Even if you do not meet every qualification, we still encourage you to apply -- we do not want to miss out on meeting the next person who could emerge as a key contributor to our business and culture.
Zoro is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.