Sr. SQL Data Engineer at Echo Global Logistics
As a Data Engineer on the Echo Global Logistics team, you will contribute to database management of large scale web-based applications through the use of SQL, C#, and .NET tools. These technologies enable Echo’s business while supporting architectural vision of quality, scalability, performance and function. Our proprietary software is created with the goal to simplify transportation for our customers and carriers, and is one of our largest competitive advantages in an ever growing market.
Echo Global Logistics has recently been ranked the third largest digital company by employee size in Chicago and we are continuing to see increased growth in virtually all of our technical teams. Additionally, we have been ranked as the #1 Inbound Logistics 3PL for 2017 and look forward to speaking with you further about our team!
Essential Position Functions
- See technology as a passion, not something you just do between 9-5
- Possess the ability to create new solutions; we operate on a web based platform and constantly facing unchartered waters
- Possess strong fundamentals within coding technologies and a willingness to wear several hats when called upon
- Do not wait for something to break; find a problem before it becomes one and constantly aiming to improve
- Having a willingness to vocalize these ideas and pick yourself up if you get knocked down
- Value passionate technologists, go-getters, and people who never stop seeking ways to improve existing technology
- Have a high focus on career development and the runway to get you there
- Work hard, period
- Offer competitive compensation, benefits, 401k, challenging projects, company wide events, coworkers and leaders who will push you to get better, a sense of community not found anywhere else
Sr.Database Administrator’s work in conjunction with Software Engineers, Business Analysts, Quality Assurance and DevOps Engineers
Contributes to maintaining Echo databases in conjunction with data development and software engineering teams
The Senior Data Engineer contributes to the design, development, and management of Echo’s large scale database systems while supporting the strategic architectural vision of quality, scalability, performance and function.
Essential Position Functions
Principal Accountability | Technical Planning
• Contribute to design and development of extensible/sustainable/quality database solutions based on an understanding of business and customer requirements and needs
• Contributes to technical design including high-level conceptual diagrams, updates to data dictionary, creation of standards
• Commands a broad awareness of related projects
Principal Accountability | Database Engineering
• Active member of a data team that solves complex challenges and builds working database solutions
• Collaborates with the team to develop database structures that fit into the overall architecture of the systems under development
• Exhibits sound, methodical engineering judgment, and effectively manages trade-offs among data volumes, number of users logical and physical distribution, response times, retention rules, security and domain controls
• Codes, installs, optimizes, and debugs database queries and stored procedures using appropriate tools or editors
• Performs code reviews, providing feedback in a timely manner.
• Promotes collective code ownership so that everyone has visibility into the feature codebase
• Addresses technical debt
• Provides development expertise to team members through education and review
• Presents technical ideas and concepts in business -friendly language
• Owns the solution, from design to its delivery to productions systems, ensures proper support documentation and processes are incorporated.
• Proactively monitors database trends and acts to improve database systems and processes
• Identifies tactical risks and raises/resolves issues effectively
• Provides recommendations for and analysis and evaluation of systems improvements, optimization, development and/or maintenance efforts including, but not limited to capacity planning
• Develops ad-hoc scripts, including clean-up scripts when needed
• Identifies and correct performance bottlenecks related to SQL code.
• Contributes to selection and design of tools required for management of the database and transaction processing environments
• Supports and is accountable for timely production releases and adherence to release activities
• Contributes to development of database maintenance plans and data retention strategy
Principal Accountability | Team Member
• Open to new ideas and encourages innovative practices amongst peers
• Practices positive interactions - leans on encouragement in place of judgment.
• Impresses responsibility on others by displaying ownership in tasks.
• Acts in the interest of the overall team
• Actively works on broadening or adding a skill
• Asks for assistance when problems become challenging
• Balances best practice decisions with delivering high business value (right vs right now)
• Contributes to the success of the team
• Able to multi-task in a fast paced, fluid work environment
• Team over me mentality and attitude is the only option
• Master’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent years of experience
• 5 to 7 years managing commercial-grade database systems leveraging the following:
o Microsoft SQL Server
o MS SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
o adept at creating stored procedures, views, user-defined functions, table functions
o Proven record on performing near real time data integrations and processing via: JSON\CSV\XML file\message types.
• 1 to 3 years developing data driven solutions and integrations for:
o Hybrid architecture spanning On-prem+Cloud (preference AWS)
o Stack: Amazon Redshift, Kinesis, Lambda, C#, Python, Java
o Informatica ETL\PowerCenter
• 2 to 4 years building robust Business Intelligence solutions:
o Microsoft OLAP
o Reporting\Dashboards: Tableau, SSRS, Power BI
• 5 to 7 years developing solutions or contributing to development leveraging:
o Object-Oriented programming techniques (.Net/Java/Python)
o Software Development Lifecycles
o Unit Test Techniques
o Debugging/Analytical Techniques
• Proven track record (3 to 5 years) working in fast-paced, time-sensitive project that requires:
o Clear and timely communication of key information deemed critical to project success
o Managing design risk
o Balancing priorities
o Going above and beyond the requirement of the role
o Articulating technical information to a non-technical audience
o Understanding of Scrum/Agile methodologies is preferred
o Leading without authority
What's in it for you?
- Help career growth by joining industry leader and continuing to advance Echo web based technologies
- Working with an organization with defined market goals, products, customers, revenue, and development teams
- Experienced mentors to learn and adopt new practices
- Ability to introduce your own views and takes on our product offerings
- Work in wide variety of data management
- Ability to constantly enhance and improve applications
- Have a clearly defined career growth track with enough flexibility to pave your own way
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or Vietnam era or other protected veteran.