Principal Service Designer at Walgreens
The Principal Service Designer is responsible for leading holistic service design activities within a designated strategic development area or value stream. He or she champions a design thinking methodology - guiding project teams through the process of capturing, analyzing, and visualizing customer insights; concepting, ideation, prototyping, evaluation and iteration. Solutions generated out of these processes will be truly omni-channel, living in both physical and digital spaces.
A key responsibility is facilitating ideation workshops with cross-functional internal teams, as well as outside design/development partners. This individual must be adept at working with colleagues from research, design, and technology – as well as business SMEs and executives. The Principal Service Designer is a natural collaborator and consensus builder, comfortable both in the field and in the boardroom.
The Principal Service Designer will use a diverse set of methods and tools to illustrate all the components and touchpoints of the service, and co-produce deliverables such as qualitative research reports, customer and employee journey maps, process flows, and prototypes. This leader also helps define service design best practices for Walgreens as we grow our internal practice.
- Leads holistic service design activities within a designated strategic development area or value stream, e.g., pharmacy, retail services, etc.
- Communicates, evangelizes, and demonstrates a design thinking methodology
- Facilitates ideation workshops with cross-functional internal teams
- Helps define service design best practices for Walgreens
- Co-produces deliverables such as qualitative research reports, customer and employee journey maps, process flows, and prototypes
- Seeks out, aggregates, and sometimes conducts qualitative customer and employee research/insights.
Walgreens (walgreens.com), one of the nation's largest drugstore chains, is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (Nasdaq: WBA), a global leader in retail and wholesale pharmacy. Walgreens is proud to be a neighborhood health, beauty and retail destination supporting communities across the country, and was named to FORTUNE* magazine’s 2019 Companies that Change the World list. Approximately 8 million customers interact with Walgreens in stores and online each day. As of August 31, 2019, Walgreens operates 9,277 drugstores with a presence in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, along with its omnichannel business, Walgreens.com. Walgreens also provides specialty pharmacy and mail services and offers in-store clinics and other health care services throughout the United States, most of which are operated by our health care strategic partners.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 5 years of experience leading service design and/or user experience projects OR a High School Diploma/GED and at least 8 years of experience leading service design and/or user experience projects.
- Experience in leading/mentoring user experience, product, or service designers
- Experience conducting qualitative user research
- Experience participating in and defining, user experience processes including identifying best practices
- Experience interacting with creative teams, business owners and technical teams
- Familiarity with engineering / development processes, particularly Agile
- Experience in a design consultancy
- Master’s degree in Product Design, Interactive Design, Human Factors, User Interface Design
- Experience in the healthcare and/or retail industries