UX Researcher at M1 Finance
Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our staid, boring, entrenched, slow-moving competitors in the personal finance industry.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $3 billion of assets, we’re currently helping more than 500,000 people grow and manage their wealth with our industry-leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, we’d love to have you read on.
What we’re looking for
We’re looking to add our first User Researcher to M1’s rapidly growing Product Design team! You’re a passionate, motivated and experienced user advocate who’s excited about the opportunity to build our research culture. You’ll thrive in a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment in order to bring customer insights into M1 to help us better understand our users and better inform strategy and decision making.
What you’ll do
- Partner with product management, design, marketing, engineering and analytics to deeply understand our users and define how our products can best meet their needs
- Conduct user research across the product lifecycle and derive meaningful insights through analysis that influence product strategy and product design
- Own the end-to-end research process including defining, recruiting, moderating, synthesizing and reporting
- Communicate insights and recommendations in a clear, concise and compelling story, evangelizing the voice of the user across the company
- Develop metrics that appropriately reflect the quality of the user experience
- Help facilitate design thinking and ideation sessions
- Educate the product team on basic user research methods, empowering them to conduct aspects of their own research within the guardrails you set
What you’ve accomplished
- 5+ years industry experience in a UX research role
- Experience conducting various research methodologies like user interviews, usability testing, journey mapping, survey writing, survey analysis and field studies
- Proven experience with both qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Track record of driving measurable business results and customer value through user research that’s demonstrated with a portfolio of past work experiences and deliverables
- Strong understanding of the end-to-end user-centered product design process
- High degree of autonomy and the ability to prioritize work across multiple teams
- Previous experience in the financial industry a plus
M1's Commitment to Diversity
M1 is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate different experiences and we're committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at all levels of the company. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. With our three DEI task forces (internal education, recruiting, and community involvement), M1 employees and leaders set aside company time to tackle DEI projects and achieve goals every quarter.
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company.
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is on building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it.
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial.
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act.
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits of our actions.
- Team-oriented: In working together, we maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth.
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud of our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Unlimited PTO
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Stock options for all employees
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym