Android Engineering Team Lead at M1 (Chicago, IL)
Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our staid, boring, entrenched, slow-moving competitors in the personal finance industry.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $4 billion of assets, we’re currently helping hundreds of thousands of people grow and manage their wealth with our industry-leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, we’d love to have you read on.
What we are looking for
We are seeking an experienced Android engineer to join our product development team and manage the team’s personal growth, contribute towards the management of the Android platform, and lend guidance towards the end-to-end development, operation, and future evolution of our mobile apps. Our product currently enjoys great reviews, but we have ambitious goals, and this person will be a vital part of elevating our team and apps to the next level.
Our product team is a high-performance, high-impact team that values curiosity, collaboration, and transparency. You’ll work closely with product managers, designers, and other engineers to help shape the future of the product. If you are the kind of engineer who is looking to both help us grow and grow with us— then we would love to talk to you.
What You'll Do
- Work with the Head of Mobile Engineering to steer team towards common technical visions.
- Be responsible for managing and mentoring mobile engineers and guiding them in their career growth.
- Supervise product pods/teams to help resolve technical questions and provide direction.
- Advise teammates on how to solve problems and meet the team’s goals.
- Identify technical debt in our codebases, formulate plans to address them, and help execute those plans.
- Review code and provide constructive feedback.
- Keep pace with changing Android technologies, research solutions, and lead integration with new platform capabilities.
- Implement refinements to the team’s processes, and guide others to adopt and follow any process improvements.
- Assist with automated testing efforts to ensure consistent quality.
- Help manage our automated build processes, ensure builds for the Test Engineering team, and update store metadata.
- Manage and maintain a robust and extensible application architecture.
- Build common and shareable systems and components for our feature teams.
- 5+ years of demonstrated experience in Android development.
- Prior experience managing direct reports or working within a structured mentoring program.
- Experience with Java and Kotlin.
- Intermediate knowledge of Android, as well as common architectural patterns of the platform.
- Prior experience building and maintaining apps with extensive feature sets, rich user interfaces, and comprehensive API integrations.
- Basic knowledge of and interest in investing and personal finance.
- Experience with MVP or MVI architecture in Android applications. MVVM in Android is a plus.
- Experience working in cross-functional teams.
- Previously worked as a tech lead or engineering manager on a mobile engineering team.
- Basic knowledge of, and interest in, investing and personal finance.
- Experience with GraphQL and Apollo libraries is a plus.
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company.
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is on building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it.
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial.
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act.
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits of our actions.
- Team-oriented: In working together, we maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth.
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud of our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Unlimited PTO
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Stock options for all employees
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym