Application Developer, Consulting Director - XP Team at CNA
An individual contributor role that leads and executes application development in all phases of the software development lifecycle (SDLC) for enterprise wide systems by determining key functional requirements and providing technical solutions in accordance with the direction of the application development organization. The primary focus will be leading the organization, design, development, documentation, and testing of CNA application solutions in an Agile environment. This is an individual contributor role, with technical leadership guidance and mentorship for other highly technical resources.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
Leads the development and management of application solutions throughout the entire SDLC.
Delivers results, creating value for the CNA brand, customers, and key internal stakeholders.
Develops code based on business requirements or user stories.
Interprets business challenges and provides technical expertise to improve document processes, and create best practices for implementations. Continually help evolve the CNA application development processes and standards.
Directs the integration of vendor applications and works with consulting resources to jointly design and development solutions as required.
Participates in the identification and selection of information technologies, vendors and/or consulting resources which assist the functional business units in meeting their strategic objectives. Includes managing vendor relationships as required, including off-shore or remote consulting services.
Directs teams in the design, development, and implementation of appropriate project quality and governance initiatives including plans, projects, and metrics resulting in high quality projects that deliver business value to all areas of CNA.
Monitors new developments and industry best practices to incorporate into CNA IT and operational management enterprise systems; and, actively and enthusiastically promotes the creative use of technology to improve productivity and enhance customer service across IT.
Drives the implementation of IT policies and procedures surrounding IT quality and governance and their respective data ensuring proper oversight, security and resilience in area of responsibility.
Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies. Drives the evolution and improvement of CNA application development processes and standards.
May perform additional duties as assigned.Reporting RelationshipTypically AVP or above.Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Preferred experience with the insurance industry, its products and services.
2. Expert software development skills developing commercial grade applications.
3. Proven senior-level understanding and experience in Agile process, such as SCRUM and Extreme Programming.
4. Proven experience in Test Driven Development (TDD) Methodology.
5. Expert experience with development in a pair programming environment and versatility with modern development methodologies and tools, such as Jenkins, Concourse CI and/or Gradle, etc.
6. Superior problem solving and analytical skills throughout the entire development lifecycle.
7. Drives innovation to generate new or unique solutions that challenge the status quo.
8. Ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels of external and/or internal business partners within scope of responsibility, team and/or matrix environment.
9. Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software, systems, and higher level programming languages.
10. A passion for growing technical skills and solving complex business issues.Education & Experience
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related discipline; or equivalent work experience.
2. Minimum of ten years of application development experience, with significant team and project/application management experience, and experience using Agile methods.
3. Applicable certifications preferred.