Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our boring, entrenched, and slow-moving competitors in the personal finance industry.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $5 billion of assets, we’re currently helping hundreds of thousands of people grow and manage their wealth with our industry-leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, read on!
What we’re looking for
We are a team of driven engineers committed to executing a clear and exciting vision. We adopt an iterative approach, believe in continuous improvement, and embrace first-principles thinking. While we value creative dissent in problem solving and eschew the idea of adopting a solution just because "it has always been done that way," we also believe in respect, support, and enabling each team members’ best contributions however we can. Everyone plays an integral part in developing our product and is empowered to make impactful decisions on features, architecture, and implementation.
The engineering team is in charge of building, deploying, and maintaining mission critical systems that power the operation of the entire M1 Finance platform. The systems range in responsibility and complexity -- from login and account management to banking and trading. Overall we adopt a microservices architecture and rely heavily on the Lightbend stack (Lagom / Play! / Akka / Scala).
We are looking for a passionate individual to join our team -- someone who realizes the value in code reviews, pair programming, and continuous self improvement; believes in servant leadership; believes the most interesting problems do not have answers yet; shares our company vision, embodies our values, and also recognizes that software development is more than just a job, it is a craft.
What you’ll do
- Lead and support a team of 3-5 backend application engineers in building and maintaining business critical software systems at scale
- Take full ownership of associated systems - from initial build and deployment to ongoing initiative prioritization and future roadmap definition
- Take responsibility for team output and team outcomes - for delivering timely, high quality software that inspires confidence
- Enable day to day team success through effective code reviews, facilitation of design and architectural discussions, and ongoing mentorship and guidance in both technical and business domain spaces
- Grow team member careers via clear performance goal setting, effective feedback collection (and delivery), and ongoing coaching
- When applicable - identify, recruit, and retain additional highly skilled application engineers
- Utilize engineering processes and tools to ensure execution is transparent, effective, and predictable. Additionally take the lead on collecting feedback and evolving and improving processes when needed.
- Collaborate and coordinate with cross functional team members and stakeholders to ensure clarity and alignment on direction, prioritization, and requirements across the organization.
- Foster ownership and purpose in team members by deeply understanding and articulating not just the business value and impact of day to day initiatives but also the broader company vision
- Cultivate a culture of safety, collaboration, and transparency through practices like pair programming, emphasizing documentation, and proactively providing recognition for wins, big or small.
Skills / Qualifications
- 5+ years of professional software engineering experience
- 2+ years experience of engineering management experience leading a team of 3+ people
- Proficiency in a JVM language, such as Scala, Kotlin, or Java
- Familiarity with functional programming, CQRS, and event sourcing
- Experience in building and maintaining scalable and fault-tolerant distributed systems deployed to a cloud environment (AWS, Kubernetes, etc)
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with cross functional teams and stakeholders to deliver complex projects from start to finish
- Strong mentorship skills with demonstrable experience elevating fellow team members
- Entrepreneurial spirit, self-motivated, growth-minded
- Excellent communicator and collaborator
- General knowledge of investing and personal finance or desire to learn
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits to our actions
- Team oriented: In working together, we maintain low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud if our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according tour values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Competitive Pay and Stock Options
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- Unlimited PTO
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication with leadership
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym