Cloud Engineer at Discover
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
The AWS Cloud Engineer is an exciting role that has one foot planted in Security in the Cloud and the other in DevOps Automation for AWS. This is a fast paced role, and well suited for someone looking to get their hands dirty in a lot of different areas. As a member of the AWS Cloud Engineering team, this individual will be responsible for implementing CI/CD, infrastructure as code, AWS Services Integration and DevOps. Organizationally, AWS Cloud Engineering resides within the IT Infrastructure Architecture and Planning area.
The scope of this role includes building and maintaining reliable infrastructure and security services in AWS to deliver highly available and scalable services, automating everything to minimize manual work and meet security and compliance objectives in all aspects of the secure cloud ecosystem, use native AWS infrastructure services such as EC2, EBS, Auto Scaling, Cloudwatch, etc., perform basic system administration tasks, and serve on the on-call team as an escalation contact for service incidents.
Responsible for working with key stakeholders to help define our on-prem and public Cloud strategy, and delivering those capabilities through modern automation tools, principles, and patterns. Responsibilities will include ‘cloud-native’ platform advocacy to enhance features and improve adoption. This is a ‘DevOps’ position, responsible for full-stack engineering and support of products that support our hybrid cloud capabilities.
- Builds, delivers, and maintains modern cloud platforms that support Agile teams.
- Partners with key stakeholders as a platform champion for cloud-native systems and coaches on how to use platform capabilities effectively through appropriate venues
- Drives continuous improvement of the IaaS product and capabilities through internal user groups and external market research
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- H.S. Diploma or GED
- 2+ years of experience in application or platform development, consulting, or related field
- In lieu of a degree, 4+ years of experience in application or platform development, consulting, or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, or related field
- Proficiency in the following general areas: Java (Java 1.7/Java 1.8), Python, Jenkins, Gradle, and Github
- Proven experience of code creation
- Experience with Scrum methodology and Agile development practices
- Understanding of testing frameworks and software quality assurance methods
- Comfortable working on agile-based teams comprised of team members with diverse skill-sets (e.g. Quality Assurance Engineers, User Experience Designers, Software Engineers / Architects)
- Demonstrates growth mindset, enthusiastic about learning new technologies quickly and applying the gained knowledge to address business problems
- Capable of collaborating with stakeholders and project leaders to understand requirements, deliverables, and set expectations on tasks that you will be responsible
- Consistently demonstrates follow-through in honoring commitments to customers and colleagues. Accepts the challenge of unfamiliar tasks
- AWS, Azure, or Google public cloud experience is a plus
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!