DevOps Engineer, Infrastructure at Flexport (Chicago, IL)
Flexport helps more than 10,000 clients and suppliers lead all aspects of their supply chain operations. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B from investors that include the Founders Fund, Google Ventures, First Round Capital, Bloomberg Beta, Y Combinator, Wells Fargo, & Softbank. With offices on three continents, our team is as global as our client base and we’re excited to lcontinue building a product and service they love. Wherever you are, whichever role you play, you’re guaranteed to share your day with committed, encouraging, and resourceful team members.Core Infra builds the foundation which lets Flexport run Flexport
To support the expanding needs of Flexport Engineering the Core Infra team is responsible for providing a global compute platform which is scalable, elastic, secure and highly available. The patterns for Infrastructure as Code alongside with the Self Service approach to building infrastructure allows the team to support hundreds of Engineering teams to develop, build and run their Applications seamlessly and on their own schedules. In order to support the SLDC of a wide variety of applications multiple environments are supported including development, staging and production. Direct read access and observability tooling is provided to allow the consumers of the platform complete insight into the application.Who are we looking for?
The Core Infra US based team is rapidly growing, and we are looking for experienced devops and infrastructure engineers to contribute at all levels. If the idea of architecting and building a cutting edge global compute platform built on K8s on AWS platform gets you excited then we should talk! We are a group of Cloud Native architects and builders on a mission to build a world class, self service foundation to take Flexport into the next generation of infrastructure.
Our applications are currently running on AWS Elastic Container Service (ECS), but with our recent migration to Service-oriented architecture (SOA), we’re starting to push the limits. We are building the Flexport Kubernetes Engine (FKE) to support stateful and stateless workloads and integrate with multiple AWS managed services.
What you’ll do:
What you’ll do: Build the Flexport Kubernetes Engine (FKE) on AWS Elastic Kubernetes Service (EKS). Design and implement a Service Mesh for multi-cluster application communication. Leverage IAC patterns for infrastructure deployments and management. Utilize security best practices for all designed infrastructure. Deliver cloud infrastructure strategies that align with business objectives.
- Build the Flexport Kubernetes Engine (FKE) on AWS Elastic Kubernetes Service (EKS).
- Design and implement a Service Mesh for multi-cluster application communication.
- Leverage IAC patterns for infrastructure deployments and management.
- Utilize security best practices for all designed infrastructure.
- Deliver cloud infrastructure strategies that align with business objectives.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience.
- 2+ years of experience operating and deploying scalable cloud-based architectures.
- 2+ years of experience with K8S and the AWS ecosystem, including the benefits and challenges.
- Experience with infrastructure provisioning and K8S operators using Terraform and Helm
- Demonstrable skills in at least one programming language.
Our flagship office is on Market Street in San Francisco, but we also have engineering teams working out of our locations in Bellevue and Chicago. Remote work is also possible from CA, CO, DC, FL, GA, IL, NJ, NY, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA. As a truly global company, we don’t let geography slow us down. We rotate hack-a-thons and move Flexporters all around the world. Investing your time with Flexport means having an immediate impact, all over the world. You’re empowered to do what’s best for everyone and trusted to make the right decisions when and where you need them. Join our collective of entrepreneurs and improve the world’s experience in global trade.Culture & Values
- Learn more at www.keyvalues.com/flexport
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one-week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.