Title: DevOps Engineer
Reports to: Sr. Mgr, Cloud | DevOps | Security
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL or Chicago, IL
In the past eight years, Zoro has grown from a group of 6 people working out of a 2,000 square foot building, offering fewer than 100,000 products to a group of 400+ working out of a 60,000+ square foot building, offering more than 3,300,000 unique products.
The primary function of this role includes building, maintaining, and monitoring reliable infrastructure, security, and pipelines in our multi-cloud environment to deliver highly available and scalable services. The DevOps Engineer will automate as much as possible to minimize manual work and meet security and compliance objectives in all aspects of the Zoro ecosystem, leverage managed cloud services, perform basic system administration tasks, and serve on the on-call team as an escalation contact for service incidents.
The DevOps Engineer is responsible for working with key stakeholders to help define our multi-cloud strategy, and delivering those capabilities through modern automation tools, principles, and patterns. Responsibilities will include 'cloud-native' platform advocacy to enhance features and improve adoption. The DevOps Engineer will work closely with other DevOps Engineers, Software Engineers, Big Data Engineers, and Architects. DevOps resides within the IT Infrastructure and Operations area.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Hands-on experience engineering, deploying, and managing pipelines in an enterprise scale environment utilizing Jenkins, CircleCI, TeamCity, or any other build automation tool.
- Experience with the commonly used managed services in cloud-native environments (GCP, AWS, Azure) with a working knowledge of their CLIs.
- Proficient with scripting and IaC languages to automate tasks/services (e.g. Bash, Python, Groovy, Ansible, Terraform, CloudFormation, etc.).
- Experience setting up the infrastructure, processes, and tools for container-based development and deployment (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, Helm, Tiller).
- Understanding of web servers and their associated tools such as Nginx, Gunicorn, IIS, Django, etc.
- Skilled using messaging queues such as Kafka, RabbitMQ, Redis, Pub/Sub, etc.
- Knowledge of IP networking, VPNs, VPCs, DNS, load balancers, security groups, and firewalls.
- Experience with data archiving, backup and disaster recovery using managed cloud services.
- Administer and rotate secrets/keys using a KMS to adhere to security compliance guidelines.
- Incorporate security tools, scans, and quality gates into the pipelines to adhere to PCI/SOX.
- Experience using application and network diagnostic and monitoring tools to understand the existing application and network workloads (e.g. Supervisor, Systemd, CloudWatch, Stackdriver, Zabbix).
- Experience with source control tooling, such as TFS or GIT, in a team environment.
- Take part in the production environment support rotation (via pager), escalating issues as warranted.
- Bachelor’s Degree in OMIS, MIS, CIS, CS or equivalent related experience.
- 1-5 years’ experience in application development or preferably DevOps/SRE experience.
- Knowledge of the DevOps culture, principles and DevOps frameworks.
- An enjoyment of technical challenges and eagerness to explore new approaches.
- An Agile mindset with the ability to adapt to changing priorities and requirements.
- Fault analysis/determination and problem-solving skills is a must.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical issues and status to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Excellent communication, and documentation skills leveraging the Atlassian Stack (JIRA, Confluence).
- An understanding of production environments, including the requirement for high availability and team oriented 24x7 support capabilities.
- A willingness to ask for help and the ability to communicate what you need to do your best work.
- Military education or experience may be considered in lieu of civilian requirements listed.
Zoro is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.