DevOps Release Manager at Walgreens (North Suburbs, IL)
Walgreens is looking for a DevOps Release Manager to join one of the largest initiatives in our company, Pharmacy Renewal. The Walgreens Pharmacy Renewal efforts seek to design and build the largest, most advanced pharmacy infrastructure in the world from the ground up. Empowered to operate as an innovation center, this effort represents one of Walgreens most important programs at both global and local levels. US, UK and Italy based teams will be leveraging the most advanced and exciting technologies to build on Walgreens strategic vision to service the 13,100 plus pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing retails stores Worldwide.
The DevOps Release Manager will create the next generation of tools and infrastructure for build, test, release and monitoring, focusing on developer productivity, release velocity and product quality. Plan, manage, and socialize all release engineering activities. Facilitate cross-team communication for status and dependencies across product areas. Continually work towards making improvements in the build/release process. Focus on improving Engineering productivity by improving Engineering tools (Jira, Confluence, Portfolio, etc.). Monitor Build and Release pipeline. Follow up with appropriate teams in timely manner to resolve issues. Triage how these issues could be stopped from re-occurring. Create best practices and guidelines for app dev teams around build and pipelines. Also, work with non-appdev teams to evangelize best practices. Educate and roll out Pipeline related tools and processes. Quantify metrics around Pipeline and share with leadership.
Walgreens is revolutionizing its pharmacy technology infrastructure and the company has significantly invested in an initiative called Pharmacy Renewal. Pharmacy Renewal is empowered to not only replace our existing core system but internally develop a new platform that will enable a whole new level of differentiation and service to millions of customers. Our mission is to foster top talent by continuously investing in our team’s development while adding proven external talent to fulfill key roles. Through a shared vision of the future, our multi-disciplined team will be empowered to innovate beyond existing boundaries in the industry.
To be success in this DevOps Release Manager role, an individual will need to be proficient in some of the following:
- Experience with version controller tools like Subversion (SVN), GIT, IBM Clear case UCM and PVCS
- Experience with Atlassian tools like Bamboo, Jira, and confluence.
- An ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies (Linux/Redhat) and cloud services such as AWS.
- Experience supporting and troubleshooting relational databases and distributed platforms.
- Experience developing and delivering presentations to all levels of an organization.
- Software release experience in a Java environment.
- Management structure in Agile and matrix organizations.
- The DevOps Release Manager develops and executes operational activities that have moderate to significant impact on the direction of the specified functional area of IT and/or the organization, and may include responsibilities in the area of Security, Planning & Analysis, Strategy or Operations, such as:
- Developing the highly- complex or industry- approaches to drive the development of broad reaching programs/designs.
- Defining, deploying and institutionalizing functional area research approaches and related knowledge basis.
- Forecasting and assessing industry trends and their impact on designs and methods of the specified functional area.
- Establishing research guidelines, best practices and standards.
- Analyzing, summarizing and presenting results to functional teams and decision makers.
- Serving on the of the specified functional area team for highly important initiatives.
- Developing programs that establish and enhance standards.
- Interpreting highly complex results and analyzing trends.
- Identifying and establishing relationships with internal/external partners.
- Performs as the subject matter expert for the specified functional area and may become actively involved, as required, to meet schedules and resolve problems highly complex in nature.
- Develops highly complex programs that establish and enhance standards. Develops the specifications of highly complex projects and may perform as implementation project lead.
- Determines business approaches and/or develops major new technical tools.
- Shares complex information related to areas of expertise and/or to gain acceptance of new or enhanced business solutions. "Evangelizes" new ideas / solutions to gain acceptance from a wide range of audiences.
- Develops business approaches and new or enhanced processes.
- Guides and mentors a wide range of audiences. May provide subject matter expertise to the business. May participate in teaching and training members of the work team.
Walgreens, one of the nation's largest drugstore chains, is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc., the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise. More than 10 million customers interact with Walgreens each day in communities across America, using the most convenient, multichannel access to consumer goods and services and trusted, cost-effective pharmacy, health and wellness services and advice. Walgreens operates 8,175 drugstores with a presence in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Walgreens omnichannel business includes Walgreens.com and VisionDirect.com. Approximately 400 Walgreens stores offer Healthcare Clinic or other provider retail clinic services.
As the neighborhood drugstore and retailer, our goal is to make health and happiness simpler, easier and within reach. And we remain a trusted wellness provider offering convenient access to important health services, such as immunizations and an array of pharmacy services that can help patients improve their health. To our team members, Walgreens represents a unique opportunity to excel in their careers in a welcoming and inclusive environment. We offer the chance to work in a truly supportive environment, and be a part of a progressive organization dedicated to the well-being of our customers, team members and the communities we all call home.