Digital Payments Lead Applications Architect
Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
We are looking for a hands-on architect to design our digital payment systems and oversee key programs in the domain to ensure that the proper architecture is implemented. In this role, you should be an excellent communicator who is able to translate complex requirements into functional architecture. We’d like you to have strong hands-on experience in software development and be able to manage complex systems. You will also need to be able to provide architectural and best practice guidance to our engineering teams.
WHO WE ARE
Discover is more than a credit card. At its core, Discover is a software company. Our customers and Partners demand products/services that help them spend smarter and achieve a brighter financial future. These products/services are built and supported by our software teams. We have fun at work and live these values:
- One customer. The person using the product is who matters.
- Teams get it done. You won’t be sitting in a corner on your own – it’s a collective effort.
- Seek to understand. Listen first, ask why, and then reach a conclusion.
- Progress over perfection. Try new ideas and be comfortable with failing fast.
- No spectators. Expect to tackle tough problems and to challenge the status quo.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
People don’t solely rely on physical credit/debit cards anymore. They want digital payment options. Specifically options on their phone or during secure digital checkout experiences (websites, apps, etc.). Why not join a team that is at the core of shaping the future of Payments? In this position, you will be a leader in our Digital Payments technology domain. Your talents will allow you to contribute, if not shape, our Business and Technology outcomes. Always wanted to have your change agent voice heard? We love to listen. We want you to help create and break-down product/platform efforts into successful execution-ready plans. We need your talents to help ensure our outcomes are aligning to the needs of our Customers and Partners. Most rewarding, you will work with the leading mobile payment players in the world while actively contribute to the developer experience by enhancing current solution patterns and defining new ones. All cutting edge work leveraging the latest technologies in the industry.
The position will be based out of our Chicago office located at 350 N Orleans St, Chicago,IL
- Design applications that allow for future enhancements
- Communicates with business and product teams to understand specific system requirements
- Guides the team in deployment automation best practices and platform optimization
- Provides advice on project costs, designs, concepts, and changes.
- Participates in agile ceremonies
- Collaborates with technology teams to select appropriate design solutions and ensure the compatibility of system components.
- Verifies stability, inter-operability, portability, security, and scalability of system architecture.
- Communicates with staff and clients to understand specific system requirements.
- Documents design specifications, installation instructions, and other system information.
- The lead architect is expected to groom and mentor all team members within our Digital Payments Services scrum teams.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- 6+ years of experience in Application Development, Leadership, or related field
- In lieu of a degree, 8+ years of experience in Application Development, Leadership, or related field
- 8-10 years of relevant hands-on software development experience
- Hands on experience with cloud platforms and technologies (Cloud Foundry preferred)
- Exposure to containers and orchestration platforms (i.e. Kubernetes, OpenShift, etc..)
- 2+ years experience working with automated build and continuous integration systems (Chef, Jenkins, Docker)
- 5+ years experience with framework and API design
- 2+ years Agile scrum experience (SAFe methodology a plus)
- Java / J2EE, Spring, Spring boot, Spring cloud services, REST API programming
- 2+ years experience with test Automation frameworks such as Cucumber or Gherkin.
- Strong hands-on experience using Test Driven Development methodology.
- Have an understanding of messaging systems – Kafka, RabbitMQ and WMQ.
- Experience working with IDEs such as Eclipse, STS, IntelliJ
- Knowledge of security and encryption mechanisms a plus
- Industry experience in Financial Services or other regulated industries
- Team Leadership
- Passion for Learning and extending those learnings to others
- Expert written and verbal skills
- Strong Collaborator
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!