Director of Engineering, Consumer
SpotHero is seeking a Director of Engineering to manage, shape and grow our consumer focussed engineering organization. You will be at the helm of all architecture and development for our consumer facing products. So please bring your technology chops and your people chops. SpotHero is in the midst of building a two-sided marketplace through a strategic application of technology, and we need a leader who can help us execute on this vision.
Who we are: SpotHero is a fast-growing market leader disrupting the mobility space. Drivers across the nation use the SpotHero mobile app, website, and connected car integrations to reserve convenient, affordable parking. Parking companies rely on us to help them reach new customers while optimizing their business. We connect the dots with cutting-edge technology, delivering value to both sides of this exciting, evolving marketplace.
Our product development team works hard to take the complicated, offline world of parking and turn it into a seamless digital experience for our customers that is nothing short of breathtaking. We have incredibly high standards, especially when it comes to our team.
What you will be doing
- Own all of consumer engineering: people, process and technology.
- Responsible for the overall execution of the consumer engineering team. Ship quality software efficiently, and predictably.
- Responsible for building and growing top performing teams.
- Partner with Product to drive long-term roadmaps (engineering and product) from ideation through execution and iteration.
- Partner with engineering leaders on strategic technology planning (evolving architecture, security, scale) without sacrificing product delivery.
- Directly manage, mentor, and grow a team of engineering managers and engineers.
- Develop training plans for continuous development of team’s engineering skills and product knowledge. We believe career development is an active sport; you should too.
What you should already have
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science with 9+ years experience as an engineer across multiple environments.
- 5+ years experience of engineering management leading an org of 25+ people, spanning across many platforms (e.g. iOS, Android, Web) built on top of a distributed system in Java/Golang or Python.
- Strong understanding of DevOps culture, programming languages, modern ops/infrastructure and CI/CD.
- Knowledge of QA, Automated Testing, and Testing Frameworks.
- Proficient in Agile methodologies & use of metrics.
- Principal level engineer or higher level of experience in one area of engineering.
What we offer
- Career game changer – A truly unique experience to work for a fast-growing startup in a role that will help transform an industry.
- Excellent benefits – We cover up to 90% of Medical Premiums, 50% of Dental & Vision Premiums, and offer company sponsored Life Insurance.
- Flexible PTO policy, generous parental leave, 401k retirement savings plan, and great work/life balance – We value and support each individual team member.
- Fun perks like snacks, catered lunches, happy hours, wellness programs, and SpotHero swag.
- Annual parking stipend (duh – we help people park!).
- The opportunity to collaborate with fun, innovative, and passionate people in a casual, yet highly productive atmosphere.
- A workplace recognized as the Best Consumer Web Company by Built in Chicago, Top Company Culture by Entrepreneur, a Top Workplace by Chicago Tribune, and one of Chicago’s Best Places to Work for Women Under 35 by Crain’s Chicago Business.