Director of Engineering
Want to help make the world a safer, more sustainable and more creative place? It may sound like a lofty goal, but that’s exactly what we’re doing at Black Spectacles. Our platform attracts architects around the world who want to push the limits of their industry. Our content — which includes podcasts, design tutorials and exam prep — helps architects keep pace with emerging technologies and software so they can do their best work.
Black Spectacles is a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company and ranked #11 in Education on the INC. 5000 America’s Fastest Growing Company List in 2019. To keep that momentum going strong, we’re expanding our team of enthusiastic go-getters. We’re on the hunt for a Director of Engineering to manage and scale our technology team.
- Develop Technology Leadership & Strategy (what technology should we use and why)
- Understand and contribute to the development of Product Strategy
- Recruit, manage and mentor/coach our technology team
- Develop our Technology Culture: ie, standards and processes, and ensure their adherence
- Develop goals for the team and work to ensure they achieve them
- Manage workload for the dev team & ensure they hit their quality and deadline goals
You have 10 or more years experience in development and a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (or related field) or equivalent work experience.
You're not afraid to ask questions and are open to constructive criticism. You're an enthusiastic self-starter who takes ownership of your work.
You’ve lead a team and managed people, and understand what being a technology mentor means.
Required prior successes:
- Migration of monolithic application(s) to a microservice architecture
- Deployment of orchestration services (e.g., Kubernetes, CloudFormation, etc.)
- Evaluation, configuration, and deployment of enterprise-grade, open-source software
- Accountability for applications over their full life cycle
Additional nice-to-have experiences include: Canvas, Moodle, Magento, Drupal, React (Angular or similar), integration of third party APIs, Amazon Elastic Beanstalk, EC2s, RDS (Aurora), Photoshop and/or Sketch basics.
- Unlimited Vacation
- Blue Cross Blue Shield health, dental, vision, short-term / long-term disability and life insurance.
- Flexible Savings Accounts and Health Savings Accounts
- 401k with Employer match
- Profit sharing program
- Employee referral program
- Free weekly team lunch
- Commuter pre-tax program
- Frequent team events & quarterly social gatherings
- Work out of the inspiring 1871 space, access to events and mentors
Black Spectacles is an equal opportunity employer.