Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our staid, boring, entrenched, slow-moving competitors in the personal finance industry.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $3 billion of assets, we’re currently helping more than 500,000 people grow and manage their wealth with our industry-leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, we’d love to have you read on.
What we’re looking for
M1 seeks a Director of Information Security to lead the cybersecurity practice within the company. The individual we seek will drive the IT security operations, strategy and implementation to protect the business from security threats. We are looking for someone looking to take the next step in their career: an energetic, enthusiastic, optimistic candidate searching for a smaller organization where they can have a large impact, create and manage new processes, and grow with us.
At M1, we value diversity and foster a positive, creative work environment. We seek individuals who want to enable each other’s' best contributions, are willing to take an active yet compassionate role in helping guide the vision of our business and aren't afraid to become an integral component of our company.
What You'll Do
- Lead M1’s cybersecurity program in compliance with current financial industry regulation
- Direct and approve the design of security practices
- Author security policies, controls and incident response planning
- Author identity and access policies and oversee their implementation
- Perform IT security risk assessments and report on ways to minimize threats
- Monitor vulnerabilities and threats in network, host, and cloud systems
- Conduct real-time threat and impact analysis
- Maintain a current understanding the threat landscape for the industry
- Identification of risks and actionable plans to protect the business
- Manage information security awareness training
- Ensure compliance with the changing laws and applicable regulations
- 8+ years of proven IT security experience
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
- Change management and business process experience
- Proven track record of driving large-scale change
- Strong analytical skills to provide data analysis reports to senior management
- Experience managing security practices on public cloud providers (AWS preferred)
- Ability to manage several concurrent projects and prioritize demands
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
M1's Commitment to Diversity
M1 is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate different experiences and we're committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at all levels of the company. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. With our three DEI task forces (internal education, recruiting, and community involvement), M1 employees and leaders set aside company time to tackle DEI projects and achieve goals every quarter.
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company.
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is on building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it.
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial.
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act.
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits of our actions.
- Team-oriented: In working together, we maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth.
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud of our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Unlimited PTO
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Stock options for all employees
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym