Director, Technology Capability Development at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.Job Description
Discover Financial Services is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Since its inception in 1986, the company has become one of the largest card issuers in the United States. The company issues the Discover card, America's cash rewards pioneer, and offers private student loans, personal loans, home equity loans, checking and savings accounts and certificates of deposit through its direct banking business. It operates the Discover Global Network comprised of Discover Network, with millions of merchant and cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation's leading ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance in 190 countries and territories.
Discover’s vision is to be the leading direct bank and payments partner and its mission is to help people spend smarter, manage debt better and save more so they achieve a brighter financial future.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
The Director, Tech Capability Development is a critical leadership role that will be accountable to help bring the future vision of technology at Discover to life today. The person who holds this role is future-focused, they think about possibilities, they obsess about all things people-related, and they have a strong bias for action. This person can easily translate high-level concepts to our Executive Committee and immediately jump into the details helping to execute strategy and drive accountability across a highly matrixed organization. The person will ensure the success of the upcoming Discover Technology Academy – a world-class in-house technical university for engineers, by engineers that will help to propel Discover forward and achieve our ambitious tech transformation goals.
- Connect with the vision of the CIO to formulate and align enterprise-wide learning strategies for Business Technology technical and leadership development
- Partner with CIO and Senior BT Leadership to translate Technology vision into clear and actionable roadmap for change
- Establish and nurture partnerships with top tier university and faculty to build out Discover Tech Academy and ensure internal and external prestige and status
- Partner with HR on systems, processes, practices (e.g., comp, promotions, etc.) to advance capabilities and profile of Technology talent
- Identify, source, and provide industry-leading digital leadership to accelerate technical skill sets, and support the development of engineering, digital, and project management capabilities
- Conduct external research and benchmarking to integrate best-in-class, modern content and methodologies for leadership, technical, and professional development
- Establish technical capability strategy taking into account current areas of strength and areas where accelerated development is needed
- Develop and implement end-user technical training solutions utilizing modern design thinking, tools, and delivery modalities encompassing experiential, in-person and online, activities, and interactive eLearning
- Consult with technical leaders and other internal stakeholders to understand training requirements and ensure the training developed and delivered meets those needs
- Ensure the transfer of knowledge across technical roles, and track certifications and skill/capability building to ensure a future-ready workforce
- Analyze and address performance metrics during and post training to drive program improvement
- Partner with human resources to develop meaningful methods of acquiring and retaining top technology talent
- Bachelor’s degree in Leadership Development, Adult Education, Business or related field
- 8+ years of related experience; or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- People operations and strategy experience
- Experience in building trusted advisor relationships and influencing others (including C-level executives); Ability to work effectively with people at all levels in an organization
- Capable of setting a course of action for self and others to accomplish Objectives and Key Results (OKR’s)
- The ability to create clear, concise, and convincing communications including PowerPoint presentations
- Strong people development and leadership skills
- Ability to embrace and thrive in ambiguity
- Work experience that includes a combination of technical roles as well as roles that demonstrate capabilities in learning and development.
- Ability to engage in and translate both business and technical discussions
- Able to design and deliver educational experiences that encourage critical reflection, technical knowledge transfer, and alternative ways of thinking, behaving and working
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.