Engineer - IoT, Microservices, and Web (C#)
SpotHero is seeking an Engineer with a focus on building out highly scalable platforms using C#. If you have a background in other languages like C++, Java, or Go that’s great - you will learn and use C# with us. Ideally, the candidate is a platform generalist with a track record of delivery on distributed polyglot platforms. Our teams are small and work across multiple areas of the technology stack from Infrastructure to APIs to Websites. At times, you will work in areas outside of your traditional area and you should be comfortable with that.
Who we are: SpotHero is one of transportation's hottest tech companies! We’re rapidly growing with the mission of bringing the parking industry into the future through technology. Drivers across the nation use the SpotHero mobile app or website to reserve convenient, affordable parking in advance, on-the-go or through their connected cars, and parking companies rely on us to help them reach new customers while optimizing their business. We connect the dots with cutting-edge technology, delivering value to both sides of this exciting, evolving marketplace.
What will you do:
At SpotHero, we are committed to DevOps and Continuous Delivery as key parts of our development philosophy. As part of this, we are building a cutting edge hardware integration layer and a backing suite of web services in order to support our explosive growth across our product lines. We are looking for an experienced systems and platform engineer who can help us build and design an infrastructure and a platform that allows for migration towards a microservices architecture. We will use C#, Docker, AWS, Python, JVM, Big Data, and Apache Kafka as key components in our platform. Here are some areas that you will focus on:
- Build and Deliver Pipelines - Architecting and building out build tools, automation, artifact repositories and pipelines across native mobile, C#, JVM and Python codebases. We use Jenkins today but could be convinced something else might work better.
- Infrastructure as Code - We are using Ansible and moving towards Salt; we also use Terraform.
- Databases/Big Data - Automation and tooling around our databases is integral to scaling our business. Today we use Postgres, Redshift, SqlServer, RabbitMQ, Redis. We will move beyond this in 2017 to incorporate Kafka and Big Data technology into the core of our platform.
- Monitoring and Metrics - We're constantly optimizing for speed, as a way to deliver the best experience to our users. Being able to measure real time performance via Statsd and Graphite is key to tracking our performance.
- Real Time Integrations and Analytics - Our Parking Partners are crucial to our business. So we're building them a suite of analytics tools, to help them monitor and optimize rates and availability, to provide the best value to the customers.
- Customer First - We believe in the best customer experience ever. This includes their experience at the Parking Garage itself. When the garage has a barcode scanner, all our customer has to do is scan their barcode on entry, and exit, and the gate automatically opens. It's truly amazing!!
The following experience is relevant to us:
- Minimum 4 years experience.
- A clear history of self-direction on complex projects, excellent communication skills, and a portfolio (github) that demonstrates these.
- BS in Computer Science or a solid background of CS fundamentals.
- Your background will be that of a system builder who has had considerable experience in a highly-complex technical operations private/cloud-based environment.
- Proven track record of defining and designing reliable, scalable, distributed systems running on AWS or other public cloud infrastructure.
- Experience managing and automating configuration of relational database clusters.
- Core understanding of agile development processes and working in an agile organization.
- Experience in two or more of C#, Java/Scala/Clojure, C++, and/or Go.
- Demonstrated experience building solutions around CI, release management, deployment, and monitoring.
- Experience in Windows administration
Nice to haves are
- Experience working with Big Data technologies and/or Data Science.
- Experience in Linux administration
What we are offering:
- Career game changer – A truly unique experience to work for a fast growing startup in a role with unlimited potential for growth.
- Excellent benefits – We cover 90% of Medical Premiums, 50% of Dental & Vision Premiums, and offer company sponsored Life Insurance.
- Flexible PTO policy, generous parental leave, and great work/life balance – We value and support each individual team member.
- Fun perks like snacks, catered lunches, happy hours, wellness programs, and SpotHero swag.
- Annual parking stipend (duh – we help people park!).
- The opportunity to collaborate with fun, innovative, and passionate people in a casual, yet highly productive atmosphere.
- A workplace recognized as the Best Consumer Web Company by Built in Chicago, Top Company Culture by Entrepreneur, a Top Workplace by Chicago Tribune, and one of Chicago’s Best Places to Work for Women Under 35 by Crain’s Chicago Business.
Steps to apply: Please include any GitHub account, LinkedIn profile, and any project that you’re particularly proud of. We love seeing work that others loved working on.
- We are considering candidates location in Chicago and Baltimore.
- You must be legally authorized to work in the US. Unfortunately, the company is unable to support sponsorships at this time.