Engineering Manager at Kin Insurance
Kin is the home insurance company For Every New Normal. Because of our proprietary technology and direct-to-consumer model, we provide affordable pricing without compromising coverage, even in areas most impacted by climate change. We’re proud to offer fully digital homeowners insurance with an elegant user experience, accurate pricing, and fast, high-quality claims service.
We are also proud to be recognized as Built In’s 2021 Best Midsize Companies to Work For in Chicago and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in America. We are growing super fast, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to help lead the way.
So, what’s the role?
As an Engineering Manager you will lead projects and teams as we build and rethink software and technology for the home insurance industry. We’re tackling a complicated, regulated industry with excitement and innovation as we build tools and systems that make our customers excited to work with us and our internal stakeholders jobs easier. As a leader, we’ll rely on you to build high performing technical teams including hiring, coaching and mentoring. You’ll work with all areas of the business and leadership to gather insights, influence product road maps, and help us achieve our technical goals.
A day in the life could include:
- Collaborate with product managers, department leaders, and other areas of the business
- Build and enforce engineering best practices
- Actively participate in recruiting and hiring talent to the engineering team
- Motivate and lead team members
- Participate in code reviews, retros, and business meetings
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- 7+ years experience as a software engineer
- 3+ years leading and managing technical teams
- Strong mentorship and leadership skills, able to mentor engineers at various stages of their career
- Create and evaluate goals for direct reports, comfortable providing actionable feedback to team members
- A track record of meeting technical business goals
- Comfortable in a startup environment or working with ambiguity
- Data oriented - using data and metrics to inform decisions and drive growth
- Able to work across teams to tackle complex issues
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (including 100% employer-paid plans)
- Flexible PTO policy
- Very generous equity options and 401K
- Parental Leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- Disability and Life Insurance
- Onsite gym membership - when we return to the office (Chicago office only)
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.