Build the programs to help Flexport growThe opportunity:
Flexport helps more than 10,000 clients and suppliers lead all aspects of their supply chain operations. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B from investors that include SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. With offices on three continents, our team is as global as our client base and we’re excited to continue building a product and service they love. Wherever you are, whichever role you play, you’re guaranteed to share your day with committed, encouraging, and resourceful team members.
We're looking for an Engineering Manager to lead an Engineering team within our Trucking organization based in Chicago and help build products that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries. The trucking team brings Flexport's vision of efficiency and transparency to destination trucking, the last leg of the entire supply chain. Like consumers, companies with very complex supply chains, expect to know when their cargo will arrive to the warehouse so they can stuff it accordingly and notify their customers that their orders are on their way. Our team delivers on this mission by writing software to be used both by Flexport's trucking partners as well as Flexport's internal operations team. In addition we are leveraging 3rd party data sources such as the truck's GPS devices and ports to enrich this data to create a great experience for our customers. We are building software that brings all of our trucking partners (such as drivers, dispatcher's, warehouse workers) into Flexport's technology ecosystem that provides value both for our clients and our partners.
- Expertly design and own technical solutions for broad or complex requirements with insightful, strategic approaches
- Lead technical decisions on the team and functional area
- Describe, analyze, and convinces others about major technical tradeoffs and decisions
- Help build scalable programs that standardize information flow and increase operational capacity
- Be part of a close-knit engineering team that ships new code every day
You should have:
- At least 3 years of experience managing engineering teams of 5+; preferred experience managing teams greater than 6 people. larger teams
- Bias for constantly learning new technologies; have knowledge of full technical landscape
- Ability to set technical vision for larger projects
- Ability to coordinate internal technical work with outside partnership/external deadlines
- Next-level analytical problem-solving talent
- Experience in a fast-paced work environment & a bias for action. You ship quality code quickly
- A product-first approach to building software. You care about the real world functionality of your programming
On the frontend, we use React for the views, organize the data flow with Flux architecture, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we're a Rails shop riding on AWS and Postgres RDS. Our continuous releases are integrated with Travis CI and Github. Our staging server infrastructure is written in Python.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.