Engineering Manager at SpotHero
SpotHero is seeking an Engineering Manager to own all technology solutions and ensure high-quality code is produced through ensuring adherence to development best practices. This person will have a hand in all the aspects that go into leading a successful team - including recruiting new and retaining existing talent, owning operating budgets, and working with our engineers and product managers.
Who we are: SpotHero is one of transportation's hottest tech companies! We’re rapidly growing with the mission of bringing the parking industry into the future through technology. Drivers across the nation use the SpotHero mobile app or website to reserve convenient, affordable parking in advance, on-the-go or through their connected cars, and parking companies rely on us to help them reach new customers while optimizing their business. We connect the dots with cutting-edge technology, delivering value to both sides of this exciting, evolving marketplace.
What will you do:
- Ownership for the people, process, and technology of 1-2 squads.
- Own, operate, and maintain all technology solutions for these squad(s). This includes managing the rotating on-call incident escalation and response processes for the squad.
- Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Product Designers, other Engineering Managers, to ensure the team has a clear direction and priorities and are meeting product requirements.
- You care about the human side to the equation and you are good at both empathic feedback and cadour, that gets through people's defense mechanisms. You are good most the time at resolving conflict
- Create a healthy balance between features and reduction of technical debt.
- Keep the squad(s) evolving and learning e.g. put in place development best practices to ensure the team produces high-quality, well-written, and tested code.
- Measure metrics like velocity and determine ways to shorten the SDLC by uncovering the teams’ blockers and helping to remove them.
- Lead reviews of architecture and system design. Look for and understand the interconnection between your squads an other squads in Engineering.
- Responsible for building and growing top performing teams, including the hiring/firing, training, performance management, and professional development of each and every team member.
- Drive innovation at documentation, process and project levels, defining new processes and consistently improving existing processes.
You represent well the organisation OKRs, principles and values. You may be an industry thought leader, participating in public speaking events and meetups to showcase SpotHero as a leader in technology.
- Secure and safeguard data to preserve its integrity, reliability, and availability and ensure appropriate access levels are maintained.
- Be constantly improving your management and leadership skills, through receiving feedback from the squads, peers. Through proactive learning from other peoples’ experience in Leadership
- You are a strong influencer both upwards and at peer level.
The following experience is relevant to us:
- We value humility, a strong work ethic, flexibility, collaboration, technical curiosity, and constant learning.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent
- 7+ years experience as a paid software engineer writing code, building features on multiple projects of some complexity.
- 4+ years experience of Managing software engineers, with full responsibility for their career growth, pay, promotion and firing. If you have 7+ years of managing we will consider a Senior Engineer Manager Title
- Leading a team of 4+ people
- Demonstrable experience mentoring and coaching reports to their desired career goals.
- Cloud Experience and worked with third party vendors to support our applications. We use AWS.
- Proven ability to understand and vocalize opinions about architecture.
- Demonstrable experience with small teams that move fast - all members are expected to be able to achieve maximum results with minimal direction.
- Worked on complex distributed polyglot systems as a software engineer and/or Manager
Technology we use
- Our Android Stack is: Kotlin and XML (standard for Android apps) using MVI architecture (still working on refactoring old views), our database layer is built in Realm. We also make heavy use of Dagger, RxJava, Espresso (testing). Network stack uses Retrofit.
- Our iOS Stack is: Swift using MVC architecture, CoreData for Data, KIF for UI Testing, XCTest for Unit testing, CocoaPods for Package Management, Fastlane for app automation and build scripts, Bitrise for CI, and Sentry and Firebase Crashlytics for crash reporting. Networking we mostly use Alamofire.
- Our Back End Stack is: Monolith using Django/Python. We are starting to extract specific domains to Services currently using Java, Kotlin and Go. We also use Docker, Kubernetes and Kafka. Our Integrations are on a .Net
- Our Front End Stack is: Combination of Webpack/Gulp for bundling/task running (backed by our own CLI for easy, semantically versioned updating), Babel transpiling JS with the latest (and regularly updated) React/Redux, Sass, Cypress (testing), and a private npm repository with shareable UI components, utils, and core modules.
- Our Data Stack is: Our Monolith Database is Postgres and Redis for caching. We also use Redshift as our data warehouse and S3 as our data lake. The data lake is queried using Presto and AWS Glue. Apache Airflow runs our ETL jobs. Our analysts utilize Looker as our Business Intelligence tool.
- Our Dev Tools Stack is: AWS+Kubernetes for hosting. Jenkins+ConcourseCI for CI/CD. Prometheus/Alertmanager/Pagerduty for team alerting. We’re starting to work on multi-region available services.
What we are offering:
- Career game changer – A truly unique experience to work for a fast-growing startup in a role with unlimited potential for growth.
- Excellent benefits – We cover 90% of Medical Premiums, 50% of Dental & Vision Premiums, and offer company sponsored Life Insurance.
- Flexible PTO policy, generous parental leave, and great work/life balance – We value and support each individual team member.
- Fun perks like snacks, catered lunches, happy hours, wellness programs, and SpotHero swag.
- Annual parking stipend (duh – we help people park!).
- The opportunity to collaborate with fun, innovative, and passionate people in a casual, yet highly productive atmosphere.
- A workplace recognized by Time Magazine as one of the Top 50 Most Genius Companies of 2018, ranks highly on Built In Chicago’s 100 Best Places To Work In Chicago in 2019, and recognized for Diversity & Inclusion initiatives!
Steps to apply: Please include any GitHub account, LinkedIn profile, and any project that you’re particularly proud of. We love seeing work that others loved working on.
NOTE: You must be legally authorized to work in the US. Unfortunately, the company is unable to support sponsorships at this time.