Expert Infrastructure Engineer (Monitoring) at Discover (Chicago, IL)
About This Role
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you'll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it - we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork, and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We're all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
The Expert Infrastructure Engineer influences and drives Discover's strategic technology decisions. Actively manages and escalates risk and customer-impacting issues within the day-to-day role to management. Actively manages and escalates risk and customer-impacting issues within the day-to-day role to management.
- Sets the strategic product and capability direction for Infrastructure Services, and influences adoption. Pioneers' new delivery methods and principles to improve efficacy and quality of engineering work.
- Monitoring Strategy Development: Collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop and refine monitoring strategies, including data collection, visualization, and reporting, to meet business objectives and improve overall system health.
- Monitoring Solution Implementation: Design, deploy, and configure monitoring solutions using Datadog, Instana, and AppDynamics to monitor applications, servers, databases, networks, and other infrastructure components.
- Uses automation, system tools, open-source solutions, observability and 'security first' principles in daily work.
- Drives adoption of new ways of working, supporting or leading 'working experiments' as necessary
- Bridges desired Business features to technology capabilities and executes groundwork in requirement translations and design. Creates, designs or improves product delivery solutions that address high impact technology and business priorities.
- Continuous Improvement: Stay up-to-date with the latest monitoring tools, technologies, and trends. Proactively identify opportunities to enhance monitoring capabilities and drive continuous improvement initiatives.
- Participates in (internal/external) speaking and publishing opportunities. Continues professional education and creates "Learning Paths" for Discover Technology teams to learn industry best practices.
- Coaches' broader technology communities and is actively engaged in understanding and researching new industry trends and technologies. Contributes to the external image of Discover Technology as a desired workplace to learn technology best practices.
- Researches and adopts new technology solutions and ways to build technical capabilities
At a minimum, here's what we need from you:
- Bachelors - Computer Science or related
- 8+ Years - (Software) Engineering, DevOps or related
- Internal applicants only: technical proficiency rating of expert on the Dreyfus engineering scale
Bonus Points If You Have:
- Previous experience as a Monitoring Engineer or similar role, with a strong focus on using DataDog, Instana, and AppDynamics for application and infrastructure monitoring.
- Monitoring Tools: In-depth knowledge and hands-on experience with DataDog, Instana, and AppDynamics, including configuration, customization, and automation of monitoring solutions.
- Proficiency in monitoring application performance, troubleshooting issues, and optimizing performance using APM tools like Instana and AppDynamics.
- Familiarity with monitoring infrastructure components such as servers, databases, networks, containers, and cloud platforms using DataDog and other relevant tools.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to investigate complex technical issues, perform root cause analysis, and implement effective solutions.
- Any relevant certifications in DataDog, Instana, AppDynamics, or other monitoring tools would be preferred
- Experience administering Infrastructure tools as well as installations.
- Hands-on experience with UNIX and or/SQL
- Experience in scripting and automation tools such as Python, PowerShell or Bash
- Experience working in an Agile environment.
The base pay for this position generally ranges between $122,500.00 to $206,500.00. Additional incentives may be provided as part of a market competitive total compensation package. Factors, such as but not limited to, geographical location, relevant experience, education, and skill level may impact the pay for this position.
We also offer a range of benefits and programs based on eligibility. These benefits include:
- Paid Parental Leave
- Paid Time Off
- 401(k) Plan
- Medical, Dental, Vision, & Health Savings Account
- STD, Life, LTD and AD&D
- Recognition Program
- Education Assistance
- Commuter Benefits
- Family Support Programs
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Learn more at MyDiscoverBenefits.com .
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
All Discover employees place our customers at the very center of our work. To deliver on our promises to our customers, each of us contribute every day to a culture that values compliance and risk management.
Discover is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Discover is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or other legally protected status. (Know Your Rights)