Java Application Architect
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Discover Financial Services is looking for a Java Application Architect level software developer to drive delivery in all aspects of software development. You will collaborate with business product owner, vendors and your peers to execute on a broad range of projects for the Fraud, Authorization & Authentication value stream from feature enhancements to designing and building complex technical solutions. You will use Java Spring and will be equipped with modern CI/CD developer tool kit (STS/IntelliJ, Cloud Development, Microservices, GitHub, Jenkins, and Nexus to name a few).
This senior/consultant level technical role is a combination of architect / implementer / developer. The ideal candidate has implemented or supported vendor products. Additionally, this person will be a key individual in ensuring high availability SLAs are met which can be in the form of the following activities: architectural design (specifically for product upgrades), support and maintenance, and software development.
Responsible for developing, creating, modifying, and integrating computer software. Analyzes user needs and develops software solutions. Designs software with the aim of optimizing operational efficiency.
- Verifies stability, interoperability, portability, security, and scalability of system architecture.
- Collaborates with technology teams to select appropriate design solutions and ensures the compatibility of system components.
- Documents design specifications, installation instructions, and other system information.
- Provides advice on project costs, designs, concepts, and changes.
- Communicates with staff and clients to understand specific system requirements.
- Scope business project requirements for application impact
- Break down a product vision into workable technical solutions to solve business problems
- Collaborate with the Fraud, Authorization & Authentication business units, vendor partners, and technical infrastructure groups to achieve high availability and project delivery.
- Collaborate with vendor to apply patches, hotfixes, etc.
- Lead major version upgrade activities
- Maintenance/BAU activities associated with infrastructure or business requested changes
- Support activities during production events
- Build high quality software for large scale and highly available systems
- Actively contribute to the Value Stream developer community to support our cloud native journey
- Provide strong technical leadership within the Value Stream
- Talk about your work with both technical and non-technical team members
- Design and develop applications in an Agile environment utilizing test driven development methodologies
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- 6+ years of experience in Application Development/Leadership, or related field
- In lieu of a degree, 8+ years of experience in Application Development/Leadership, or related field
It would be great if you have:
- Build real-time applications using Core Java, J2EE, API, Spring boot, Microservices Kafka and Cloud Development
- Experience developing/supporting/maintaining applications on a Linux/UNIX platform including advanced shell scripting
- Relevant hands-on experience with building highly scalable and reliable Java applications
- Experience with Java development and architecture on client facing application
- Familiarity with Event-Driven architecture (IBM MQ or similar)
- Experience working with an iterative software development methodology
- Strong understanding of object-oriented design principles
- Self-motivated and openly challenging the team to continuously improve
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.