Java Developer at Discover
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
This is a full time Java Developer on the Discover Network Switch Development team. The team is responsible for development of applications that support online transaction processing for Discover Network. Primarily responsibilities are on the Hydra application. This application interconnects merchants, acquirers, issuers and other networks to route credit and debit transactions. The applications currently services about 7 million transactions a day.
The primary focus of this position is development of the Hydra application. The Hydra application is a distributed, Java based application running on Red Hat Linux. The application is being developed in house on top of a 3rd party middleware component, TIBCO ActiveSpaces Transactions. Construction of the new Hydra application also includes integrating with several other systems within the Company (for example fraud).
- Collaborating with business partners to define and review business requirements.
- Analyzing business and technical requirements to create high level and detailed design documents.
- Writing application code in Java based on project requirements and design
- Performing unit, system, regression and stress testing.
- Providing support and troubleshooting to business partners during user acceptance testing.
- Collaborating with other developers on the development of application code when needed.
- Performing planning and execution of implementation tasks for projects.
- Assisting peers in coding, debugging, and troubleshooting in all environments.
- Collaborating with other internal IT and business teams as well as external IT and business teams to complete projects.
- Providing 3rd level support for production systems.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or related field
- 2+ years of experience in Software Development or related field
- In lieu of degree, 4+ years of experience in Software Development or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Highly motivated individual with a strong work ethic
- Ability to work well in a team environment as well as independently
- Attention to detail
- Excellent communication (written and oral), interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work with both technical and non-technical business partners
- Experience in Java development
- Experience with JUnit testing
- Experience with Git/Github (or other version control system)
- Experience with Eclipse or Spring Tools Suite (or another relevant development IDE)
- Experience with UNIX (AIX or Linux) and UNIX scripting
- Experience with multi-threaded application development
- Experience with TCP/IP Networking
- Basic project management skills
- Experience with Agile or Iterative project delivery methodology
- Knowledge or experience with web services
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.