Lead Cloud Engineer
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
We are looking for a hands-on Lead Cloud Engineer who will be responsible for helping to design, provision, automate and maintain large state of the art Cloud Infrastructure for Advanced Analytics Platform. Requirement is for a strong full stack cloud engineer to help build out and run our production environments. This engineer will have strong cloud platform experience (preferably with Amazon Web Services) and will be responsible for automating operations, maintaining and supporting infrastructure, coding and scripting, as well as communicating and collaborating with, and advising our development teams.
Responsible for working with key stakeholders to help define our on-prem and public Cloud strategy, and delivering those capabilities through modern automation tools, principles, and patterns. Responsibilities will include ”cloud-native” platform advocacy to enhance features and improve adoption. This is a ”DevOps” position, responsible for the full-stack engineering and support of products that support our hybrid cloud capabilities.
- Partners with key stakeholders as a platform champion for cloud-native systems, and coaches on how to use platform capabilities effectively through appropriate venues.
- Drives continual improvement of the IaaS product and capabilities through internal user groups and external market research.
- Builds, delivers, and maintains modern cloud platforms that support Agile teams.
- Contributing member of a high performing team focused on next generation data & analytic technologies.
- Lead the operations and support team on new Hadoop cluster builds, deployments, security, system hardening and maintaining Hadoop services such as Hive, Oozie, and Spark.
- Plans and executes major platform software and operating system upgrades and maintenance across physical and virtualized environments.
- Responsible for leading the team with ongoing administration of Hadoop platforms including monitoring, tuning and troubleshooting issues.
- Continuously look for ways to improve the day to day processes through automation.
- Perform trend analysis of system logs, audits, management data, etc. to identify performance issues and drive improvements to ensure optimal performance.
- Triage production issues when they occur in conjunction with other application & business users to ensure resolution.
- Drive root case analysis (RCA) process to accurately identify, classify and prevent reoccurring issues.
- Responsible for ensuring implementation of ongoing project requests through the change management system are completed.
- Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to require standards and processes.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, or related field
- 1+ years of experience in Team Lead, or related field
- 4+ years of experience in application or platform development, consulting, or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 3+ years working with Cloud Technologies
- 3+ years of experience as a DevOps Engineer, working in AWS.
- Experience with AWS IAM Roles & Policies, API Gateway, Route 53, EC2, S3, Lambda and RDS.
- Experience with web application servers (NGiNX, Apache, Squid)
- Experience with monitoring and alerting technologies (Cloudwatch, Grafana, Kibana)
- Strong understanding of the entire AWS Product and Service suite (EC2, S3, VPC, CloudFormation, RDS, Lambda, – – Redshift, EMR, SQS, SNS etc.) of products and their applicable use cases, best practices and implementation, and support considerations.
- Experience with resource, security, and cost management strategies in AWS.
- Exceptional skills in Linux system administration.
- Experience implementing multi-account governance in AWS.
- Experience in Python Programming.
- Experience managing code on Github
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Experience working with an Agile Development software team.
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!