Lead Java Developer at Discover
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Discover is more than a credit card. At its core, Discover is a software company. Our customers demand products that help them spend smarter and achieve a brighter financial future. These products are built and supported by our software teams. We have fun at work and live these values:
- One customer. The person using the product is who matters.
- Teams get it done. You won't be sitting in a corner on your own - it's a collective effort.
- Seek to understand. Listen first, ask why, and then reach a conclusion.
- Progress over perfection. Try new ideas and be comfortable with failing fast.
- No spectators. Expect to tackle tough problems and to challenge the status quo.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
People don’t keep their money under mattresses anymore. Why not join a team that continues to shape the future of banking? In this position, you will build software that reaches Discover’s customers. You will break down a product vision into workable technical solutions to solve problems. You will partner with others to advance Discover’s CI/CD maturity as more and more apps move to the cloud. You will actively contribute to the developer community by enhancing current solution patterns and defining new ones.
We have opportunities across all of Discover’s software teams supporting full stack, back-end, or mobile development. Working with us means you will be exposed to new ways to enhance your skills. The list below outlines the different groups within Discover along with recent accomplishments made possible by our software developers.
- Credit Cards: FICO Scorecard, Messaging with Artificial Intelligence
- Deposits: New Cashback Debit product, Auto Cash Back Redemption to Savings
- Lending: Expanded capabilities on mobile, Real-time feed for loan rates on third-party sites
- Mobile Payments: ApplePay Classic/Cash, GooglePay, SamsungPay
- Wearable/Token-based Payments – FitPay, Card on File, Secure Remote Commerce
- Brand new global payments platform for future partnerships
Check out Discover’s StackOverflow company page to learn more about our tech stack. (https://stackoverflow.com/jobs/companies/discover)
- Produce high quality products through iterative development
- Embrace an API mindset
- Ensure solutions address scalability, security, availability, and maintainability needs
- Learn new technologies and promote the adoption of frameworks that deliver customer value
- Understand how your work connects to the customer
- Actively participate and contribute in team ceremonies
- Enable the team to be cross-functional and autonomous
- Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk/compliance management practices by adhering to require standards and processes
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Business Computer Systems, or related technical field
- 6+ years of experience in Software Engineering or related field
- In lieu of degree, 8+ years of experience in Software Engineering or related field
- Experience with framework and API design
- Strong Junit/integration testing experience
- Core Java or Object Orientated Programming
- Spring (Core, Spring Integration, Spring Boot, Spring Batch)
- JSON/XML processing and validation
- SOAP & REST Services
- CI with Jenkins or similar; Git/GitHub; Gradle, Nexus,
- IBM MQ
- Data Technologies: Oracle
- Cloud/PaaS Architectures: Cloud Foundry(PCF)/AWS
- Strong Unix/Linux shell/batch scripting knowledge
- 2+ years of relevant hands-on solution architecture experience in DFS Tech Stack
- Studied architectural patterns at scale, including thoughtfully-designed APIs, repeatable delivery pipelines, and efficient computer engineering principles
- Utilized and/or contributed to open source projects
- Containerization solutions like Docker, Kubernetes or Openshift
- CI Technologies: Chef, Ansible
- Data/Cache Technologies: Oracle, Maria, Gemfire, MongoDB, Redis
- Cloud/PaaS Architectures (AWS/VM)
- Angular, Gulp, Node, Protractor, WireMock
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.