Lead Quality Engineer at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.Job Description
We are looking for a Lead Quality Engineer to join the EPP team to help Discover not just achieve our vision, but who are keen to learn new technologies, grow their skills and most importantly drive the evolution of our software engineering practices.
We want you to love where you work and thrive in your career. Our culture inspires innovation, teamwork, and growth, so we can make a positive impact on millions of people's lives.
We embrace change and evolution, both in our staff and platforms. We are building new payment systems that allow us to utilize modern technologies (Cloud, Big Data, Open Source, Event driven real time processing) and approaches to delivery (Scaled Agile, CI/CD, TDD + BDD) that will enable us to produce software and systems to support our business and adapt to change within the fast paced FinTech world
What You’ll Do
- At outset of project, lead in collaboration with other stakeholders and management.
- Devise test objectives, organizational test policies, test strategies, and test plans for the project.
- You will be part of an end-to-end agile team that owns and delivers the capabilities required to fulfil the business requirements into a Production environment, focusing on the quality and integration of individual user stories and features into a working system
- You will be the “What do you expect to happen if this scenario happens?” voice in the team, coaching the whole team to consider the unhappy path of business flow and software capabilities as well as the perfect world
- You will be the “champion of quality” for the team – guiding and contributing in order to execute the right tests at the right time in the process
- You will show a “shift left” approach to testing – ensuring tests are identified, prepared and executed as early as possible in the lifecycle
How You’ll Do It
- You will provide strategic thought leadership on testing – executing and evolving existing strategies.
- Partner with engineers to ensure the integrity of the automated test suites and enhances them as needed.
- Actively enhance the integration tests and works with engineers and devops to ensure high quality releases are delivered into production.
- Manually tests scenarios that are challenging to automate such as malicious use-case testing and special use cases.
- Maintain a lightweight suite of manual test cases needed for certain scenarios
- Actively participates in story grooming, and coach the entire team on having a “QA Mindset.”
- Give the quality approval for each story during development.
- Partner with the Product Owner to ensure all test cases and relevant scenarios are met.
- Triage and traces issues in production, maintaining reports/dashboards on quality metrics.
- Assist in the timely resolution of quality/test challenges at the team level, providing guidance, training, technical support and, where necessary, mentoring individuals.
- Send the status report (daily, weekly, etc.) to the Test Manager. Review reports prepared by testers.
- Prepare meeting agendas, including those for weekly team meetings.
- Conduct frequent team status-check meetings via chat/email, etc.
- Track and report upon testing activities, including testing results, test case coverage, required resources, defects discovered, and their status, performance baselines, etc.
- Attend regular test-team meetings.
- Lead, guide, and monitor the analysis, design, implementation, and execution of test cases, test procedures, and test suites. Ensure content and structure of all testing documents/artifacts are documented and maintained.
- Assign tasks to all testing team members and ensure that all have sufficient work in the project.
- Act as the single point of contact between Development and testers for iterations, testing, and deployment activities.
- Review system, integration at user acceptance tests prepared by testers.
- Ensure proper configuration, management of the test artifacts produced and traceability of the tests to the requirements.
- Recognize when test automation is appropriate and, if it is, plan the effort, select the tools, and ensure training of the team.
- As test execution approaches, make sure the test environment is in place before test execution and managed during test execution. Schedule the tests for execution and then monitor, measure, control, and report on the test progress, the product quality status, and the test results, adapting the test plan and compensating as needed to adjust to evolving conditions.
- Plan, monitor, and control the testing activities and tasks. Provide input into the estimation of the testing effort.
- Prepare the software test plan. Analyze requirements during the requirements analysis phase of projects. Keep track of the requirements from the project and manage change of scope (COS).
- Schedule the project effort in conjunction with the PMO. Check for timely delivery of project milestones. Arrange the hardware and software requirement for the test setup.
- Escalate issues about project requirements (software, hardware, resources) to the Project Manager/Test Manager. Identify training requirements and forward it to the Project Manager (technical and soft skills).
- Document, implement, monitor, and enforce all processes and procedures for testing as per established standards defined by the organization.
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology or related field
- 4+ years of experience in leading software testing teams utilizing Agile delivery methods within the payments industry or equivalent experience
- In lieu of education, 6+ years of experience in leading software testing teams utilizing Agile delivery methods within the payments industry or equivalent experience
- ISTQB Foundation
Bonus Points If You Have
- 6+ years of experience in leading software testing teams utilizing Agile delivery methods within the Payments industry or equivalent experience
- ISTQB Intermediate Test Manager
- Experience with Java based Applications and Platforms – ideally writing the code to build or test applications
- Modern Engineering and Testing techniques (BDD, TDD, Contract Testing)
- Collaborative Experience of working with Product owners, Devops engineers and Service Reliability Engineers
- Hands on examples of implementing a shift left testing strategy
- Vocal and effective communicator
- Demonstrate assertive mind-set by being able to challenge/ question the status-quo
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.