Lead Software Engineer at Black Spectacles
Are you known for your ability to execute with a high degree of expediency and accuracy, and an analytical person comfortable taking the lead? If so, Black Spectacles’ Lead Software Engineer role may be the perfect opportunity for you to grow in your career!
At Black Spectacles, we’re a purpose driven company, aimed squarely at educating and inspiring architects across the world so they can thrive in their careers.
Our platform attracts architects around the world who want to push the limits of their industry. Our content — which includes podcasts, design tutorials and exam prep — helps architects keep pace with emerging technologies and software so they can do their best work.
Black Spectacles is Chicago-based with a fully remote staff. We are a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company and ranked #11 in Education on the INC. 5000 America’s Fastest Growing Company List in 2019. To keep that momentum going strong, we’re expanding our team of enthusiastic go-getters.
We’re on the hunt for a Lead Software Engineer to manage our technology team and lead the charge of migrating us to a new tech stack. You will be building the technological future of Black Spectacles.
- Develop Technology Leadership & Strategy (what technology should we use and why)
- Understand and contribute to the development of Product Strategy
- Recruit, manage and mentor/coach our technology team
- Develop our Technology Culture: ie, standards and processes, and ensure their adherence
- Develop goals for the team and work to ensure they achieve them
- Manage workload for the dev team & ensure they hit their quality and deadline goals
- You have experience working with API’s
- You're willing and able to roll up your sleeves and code on day one.
- You have a degree in Computer Science or relevant work experience.
- You have over 6 years of direct hands on development experience, ideally full stack.
- You have over 3 years of building and/or leading high performing engineering teams.
- You have over 5 years of experience working in Agile environments.
- You have experience coaching junior to mid-level engineers.
- You're not afraid to ask questions and are open to constructive criticism.
- You're an enthusiastic self-starter who takes ownership of your work.
- Must be able to travel to Chicago for quarterly team meetings
Nice to haves:
- Ideally you are language agnostic, but might have experience with PHP, Ruby on Rails, Python.
- Evaluation, configuration, and deployment of enterprise-grade, open-source software
- Accountability for applications over their full life cycle
- Experience with AWS (EC2, S3, SQS, etc)
- 'Work from wherever' policy
- Unlimited Vacation
- Blue Cross Blue Shield health, dental, vision, short-term / long-term disability and life insurance.
- Flexible Savings Accounts and Health Savings Accounts
- Employee referral program
- Frequent team events
Black Spectacles is an equal opportunity employer.