Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
Currently seeking a thoughtful, well-rounded full stack software engineering professional to be part of the Business Technology - Customer Engagement Platform department. In this role, the individual will work in a highly technical agile team which handles services for Discover websites and mobile apps utilizing the latest Discover platforms for continuous delivery and cloud development.
The individual will be required to foster collaboration and provide thought leadership while contributing to the development of modern services.
Works on analysis, design solutions, development and supports application software. Conducts development tasks including technical design, coding with test automation, support and documentation.
What You’ll Do
- Deliver on all product development phases from planning, application development, release, and support.
- Drive product quality through paired programming and test driven development.
- Ensure applications meet security, high availability, and maintainability requirements.
- Develop application code using languages such as React, and Java frameworks.
- Develop API endpoints to support internal and external requests.
- Develop / maintain a CICD pipeline to build, test, and deploy application artifacts.
- Learn new technologies and promote the adoption of new frameworks to gain competitive edge in delivering value to customers.
- Take necessary steps (prioritization, mentoring, and assistance) to enable the team to be a high value, cross-functional, autonomous unit.
- Develop and maintain full stack solutions to fit business needs ― full stack solutions require one or more of the following: front-end (user interfaces), back-end (APIs), database and DevOps development.
- Work directly with business partners to understand business requirements. Work independently or with own team to innovate and advocate for best practices within the team.
- Design complex solutions and lead them from inception to production within the Agile team.
- Write technical requirements and design documents in support of the initiatives in the mobile and web platforms.
- Maintain highly available systems. Ensure all projects and releases are appropriately tested and risks are mitigated.
- Delivers technology solutions that support our business goals: Partners with management, architects, and product owners to understand requirements, evaluating the features to prepare applications specifications into workable technical solutions.
- Enhances Operating Model by demonstrating a high-level of initiative, ability to work with all levels of management and within a scrum team as a senior technical leader/developer. Assists with the growth of others on the team within a challenging environment while promoting DFS cultural behaviors and technical proficiencies based on our latest standards and strategies
- Actively contribute to the department's developer community to support technical initiatives and provide input into best practices.
- Maintains highly available systems. Ensures all projects and releases are appropriately tested and risks are mitigated
How You’ll Do It
- Develop and maintain front-ends focused on user experience.
- Develop and maintain back-end systems.
- Work with key stakeholders to design solutions and lead from inception to production.
- Create and maintain DevOps processes, application infrastructure, and utilize cloud services (including database systems and models).
- Innovate on and advocate for best practices and improved team processes.
- Mentor junior team members.
- Support live systems to ensure business continuity.
- Bachelor Degree in Information Technology
- 8+ years Software Development or related
- In lieu of education 10+ years Software Development or related
Bonus Points/Nice to have
- 5+ years of experience in building backend APIs and applications in Spring boot
- 3+ years of experience in building front-end UI applications with modern JS frameworks such as React JS
- Knowledge on cross-platform mobile app development framework such as React Native
- Development experience across both Web & Mobile platforms
- Comfortable with system design and architectural concepts
- Exposure to architectural patterns at scale; including thoughtfully-designed APIs, repeatable delivery pipelines, and efficient CS principles
- Experience in utilization of open source projects
- Proficient across the technical stack, able to deliver quality code at all tiers
- Exposure to XP and Devops
- High Level understanding of emerging trends in software engineering
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Team motivator and team player
- Experience as part of an Agile engineering or development team
- Strong understanding of object-oriented principles with an ability to write clean code
- Strong experience working with a relational database and NoSQL database
- Strong experience with CI/CD pipelines with Jenkins or similar; Git/GitHub; Artifactory
- Proven skills in high availability and scalability design, as well as performance monitoring
- Experience developing and implementing API service architecture
- Experience in working in a cloud foundry and open shift
- Understanding of messaging systems like MQ, Rabbit MQ, Kafka, or Kinesis
- Strong experience of developing multi-threaded and synchronization application
- Build secure web applications with user authentication
- Understanding of software testing principles and methodologies
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.