Principal Software Engineer at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.Job Description
Looking for an energetic and passionate engineer to help lead the transformation of core legacy systems into modern real-time applications. Work hand in hand with the business and existing technology teams to determine the best approach as we take outdated and batch oriented systems and move them into a modern technology stack focused on real time transactions and high availability centered around automation. Put your problem solving skills to use to help design solutions that keep the existing systems operating as we work to deploy new and modernized functionality to drive the business forward.
- Develops and maintains complex front-ends with a focus on user experience
- Develops and maintains backend systems
- Uses holistic knowledge of all products in the team’s ecosystem to plan how new systems will be built and integrated
- Innovates on and advocates for best practices and improved processes within the team and with internal partners; stays up to date with technology trends and innovations; mentors team members
- Creates and maintains devops processes, application infrastructure, and utilizes cloud services (including database systems and models)
- Supports live systems to ensure business continuity
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology or related field
- 8+ years of experience in computer science, information technology or related field
- In lieu of degree, 10+ years of experience in computer science, information technology or related field
Experience as part of an Agile engineering or development team
Strong understanding of object-oriented principles with an ability to write clean code
Strong experience working with a relational database and NoSQL database
Strong experience with CI/CD pipelines with Jenkins or similar; Git/GitHub; Artifactory
Proven skills in high availability and scalability design, as well as performance monitoring
Experience developing and implementing API service architecture
Experience in working in a cloud environment such as AWS, GCP or Azure.
Understanding of messaging systems like MQ, Rabbit MQ, Kafka, or Kinesis.
Strong experience of developing multi-threaded and synchronization application
Build secure web applications with user authentication
Understanding of software testing principles and methodologies
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.