Principal Software Engineer
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Develops information systems by designing, developing, and installing software solutions. Determines operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and proposed solutions.
- Directs software programming and development of documentation.
- Consults with customers or other departments on project status, proposals, or technical issues, such as software system design or maintenance.
- Analyzes information to determine, recommend, and plan installation of a new system or modification of an existing system.
- Modifies existing software to correct errors, to adapt it to new hardware, or to upgrade interfaces and improve performance.
- Develops or directs software system testing or validation procedures.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Software, Math, Computer Science, or related field
- 6+ years of experience in Software Engineering, or related field
- In lieu of degree, 8+ years of experience in Software Engineering, or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Golang or similar programming
- REST Services
- CI with Jenkins or similar; Git/GitHub; Artifactory
- OpenShift &/or Kubernetes
- Kubernetes Operators
- AWS Cloud & Services, e.g. Lambda
- Agile development
- Strong Linux shell/batch scripting knowledge
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong collaboration skills, responsive to service needs and project demands in a fast-changing environment
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.