Senior DevOps Engineer at Discover
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
As Discover’s Business Technology organization continues to innovate with new open source technologies, a new opportunity has been opened on the Emerging Technologies team in the Enterprise Architecture group.
*** The position is in our downtown Chicago office, located next to the Merchandise Mart. Occasional travel to headquarters in Riverwoods, IL is required. ***
This position will join a team focused on innovative data engineering solutions. As a DevOps Engineer on the team you will be responsible for delivering innovations and improvements for the Centralized Logging Service and for its ongoing operational support. By following Agile practices and continuing to build our development frameworks, you will contribute to a team that is delivering high value solutions and still innovating in our software toolset choices. We’re currently developing in Python, Scala and Java while leveraging more AWS services every day. This year we’ll be rolling out machine learning solutions, delivering a new Kafka based solution and evaluating cloud based streaming analytics tools.
There will be opportunities to promote Discover and its innovative solutions that this team will be involved in driving forward, so we expect this individual to be comfortable in these outreach responsibilities and possess good communication skills in order to be effective in these duties.
The role requires critical strategic thinking, attention to detail and effective oral & written communication skills including the creation of visual artifacts such as flow and/or sequence diagrams. This unique position will require both a strong technical and business acumen.
- Partners with Scrum Teams to implement CI/CD pipelines.
- Works with infrastructure teams to implement fully automated environments.
- Implements standard automation patterns based on industry best practices.
- Provides day-to-day DevOps support to the Scrum and infrastructure teams.
- Maintains and monitors CI/CD pipelines.
- Responsible for the delivery of automated software delivery practices focusing on full automation between the development and production environments.
- Collaborates with Development, Testing, Architecture, and Infrastructure groups to ensure consistency across the enterprise.
- Works with a dedicated agile development team to deliver customer/business value through product features.
- Take ownership of larger technical items that span many sprints and release points, to ensure the items that don’t squarely fit into a time-box are still accomplished.
- Working within an Agile process to deliver solutions to Discover that support the Centralized Logging Service (CLS) and assistance in the design and implementation of the solution, based on Elasticsearch, Logstash, Filebeats, Kafka and AWS.
- Achieve a high level of competency in big data solutions and aligned technologies that are used, or will benefit CLS.
- Take an agile pro-active approach that delivers improvements to the organization in a timely basis.
- Identifying opportunities to innovate on top of the CLS data, which promote skills in Data Analytics.
- Delivering new capabilities with new technologies (i.e., machine learning) that deliver additional value.
- Develop data science expertise.
- Provide thought leadership to the product management team, and your peers, regarding technology ‘fit’ and solution design of the Centralized Logging Service.
- Perform strategic planning, upgrades, maintenance and support.
- Actively contribute to and drive creation of artifacts for CLS Architectures, Design Considerations and Best Practices.
- Maintain working knowledge of alternative Log Analytic solutions (i.e. Splunk, Elastic Filebeats/Logstash and other tools), as well as cloud-based offerings.
- Handle occasional on-call duties and escalations as they rotate through the team.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field
- 2+ years of experience in Software Engineering, DevOps, or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 1+ years of relevant experience with agile technology teams
- 2+ years of coding experience with Java, Python, or another modern language.
- Exposure to 2+ years of experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) as a Developer or Architect.
- Demonstrates reliability and dependability for the team, displays self-awareness, collaboration and ability to improve based on feedback from others.
- CI/CD setup and use, such as Jenkins and Ansible would be beneficial.
- Experience with Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Filebeat (ELK).
- Exposure to: Kafka, Java, Python.
- Experience supporting a product or service provided to a development community.
- Experience in a support based capacity, such as a development or engineering team
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.