As the Senior Director of Cloud Architecture you will be responsible for developing a rigorous technology architecture, leveraging cloud services and automation to enable business strategies and ensure public cloud solutions are optimized for cost and functionality. This person will also be responsible for developing and driving the cloud computing strategy along with the introduction of new emerging technologies and public cloud services, cloud adoption plans, cloud application design, and cloud management and monitoring strategies.
You will work with development teams and other stakeholders to drive and enable the migration and refactoring of on-premises applications to cloud native design and deployment methodologies.
You will mentor and work with both senior and junior developers and architects to bring them up to speed on cloud architectures including modern programming languages, micro services and container based deployments.
This individual must be able to translate complex ideas, technology, and programs into language senior management can relate to and be a key influencer on technical decisions that affect the business on a long-term basis.
- Develops a rigorous technology architecture, leveraging cloud services and automation to enable business strategies and ensure public cloud solutions are optimized for cost and functionality.
- Develops and drives the cloud computing strategy along with the introduction of new emerging technologies and public cloud services, cloud adoption plans, cloud application design, and cloud management and monitoring strategies
- Designs target state Cloud Architecture, partnering with other areas, such as Engineering and Development teams. Works with development teams and other stakeholders to drive and enable the migration and refactoring of on-premises applications to cloud native design and deployment methodologies.
- Builds Reusable Patterns for application development in the public cloud to deploy and modernize applications, provide governance around adoption, and influence application development teams on roadmaps and designs
- Ensures all technical leaders have architected resilient and robust systems. May oversee technology assessments, technology strategy reviews, and provide internal consulting to ensure all areas are practicing sound architecture hygiene.
- Translates complex ideas, technology, and programs into language senior management can relate to and performs as a key influencer on technical decisions that affect the business on a long-term basis.
- Leads the Development of metrics and scorecards to influence the technology teams on industry best practices for cloud development.
- Directs Architecture and Cloud Engineering teams in defining technology strategy and roadmaps.
- Performs as an idea generator, working with others as a thought leader and subject- matter expert to help brainstorm new processes and solutions. Shares highly complex information related to areas of expertise. Interacts with senior management to keep abreast of objectives. Transfers knowledge and collaborates across functional lines and/or across departments. Interacts with direct reports and peers in management / customers / vendors to interpret information and improve cross-functional processes and programs. Builds and enhances key internal and external contacts.
- Develops short- and long-range product and service strategies and plans. Oversees the execution of operating plans for specified area of responsibility.
- Reviews the competitive marketplace and makes adjustments to operational activities based upon identified information.
- Sets financial, operational and quality objectives for the team; develops and manages department budget and an operational plan; deliver against business goals/objectives.
- Leads in a fast-paced environment and produces high-quality work under tight deadlines.
- Mentors and works with both senior and junior developers and architects to bring them up to speed on cloud architectures, including modern programming languages, micro services and container based deployments.
- Directs through others who mentor, coach and evaluate their responsive teams and develop employees through on-boarding, open communication, training and development opportunities and performance management processes; builds and maintains employee morale and motivation; ensures the team is appropriately staffed with required competencies; fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability/veterans
Walgreens Boots Alliance (Nasdaq: WBA) is a global leader in retail and wholesale pharmacy, touching millions of lives every day through dispensing and distributing medicines, and through its convenient retail locations, digital platforms and health and beauty products. The company has more than 100 years of trusted healthcare heritage and innovation in community pharmacy and pharmaceutical wholesaling.
WBA is one of the world’s largest purchasers of prescription drugs and many other health and well-being products. The company’s size, scale and expertise will help position us to expand the supply of, and address the rising cost of, prescription drugs in the U.S. and worldwide.
The company’s portfolio of retail and business brands includes Walgreens, Duane Reade, Boots and Alliance Healthcare, as well as increasingly global health and beauty product brands, such as No7, Soap & Glory, Liz Earle, Botanics, Sleek MakeUP and YourGoodSkin.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 8 years of experience leading complex Software Engineering and Architecture initiatives OR a High School Diploma/GED and at least 11 years of experience leading complex Software Engineering and Architecture initiatives.
- Experience with public cloud architecture, Cloud strategy, networking, security, compliance workload types, migration patterns and tools. `
- Experience with various enterprise applications and IT services, as well as software development, compliance and security, and IT operations disciplines.
- Knowledge of cloud design patterns, cloud operations and cloud cost models with experience implementing best practices or suggested improvements.
- Experience suggesting competitive and innovative technical decisions, obtaining client buy-in and delivering on commitments
- Experience re-architecting applications for cloud platforms.
- At least 5 years of experience contributing to financial business decisions in the workplace.
- At least 5 years of direct leadership, indirect leadership, and/or cross functional team leadership.
- Experience leading a large, highly technical teams in a matrix organization.
- Knowledge of app & data architectures and cloud native patterns for development, etc.
- Knowledge of Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) philosophy, Chaos Engineering, technologies, platforms and tools, SLA management, incident resolution, and automation
- Experience leading collaborative teams to achieve common goals
- Experience in large scale internet companies/technologies, where uptime and continuous availability was core to the business
- Experience identifying and partnering to implement automation opportunities to drive down toil and reduce technical debt
- Experience managing operations of large scale internet-centric Data environments for application or data services serving tens to millions of end users
- Experience presenting technical ideas in business-friendly language.
- Experience identifying operational issues and recommending and implementing strategies to resolve problems.
- Experience applying standards of cloud compliance to application design to achieve reliability
- Knowledge of Networking and cloud technologies, for example Security, Load Balancing, Network routing protocols